This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8959 September 15th, 2003 at 11:58 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I was given a very small (1 stem w/ 2 leaves) jade plant in late spring / early summer it really took off, and grew close to 6" over the summer.

Maybe it grew to fast, but it has fallen over, I tied it to a post (read unsharpened pencil) to hold it up, and the top of the soil hasn't dried out for over a week now. I am afraid that it won't make it so just in case I would like to root a piece of it to try to keep the plant.

Can I do this from a leaf? What do I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!

#8960 September 15th, 2003 at 12:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jades are very easily rooted from a leaf. And, you want to let the soil dry before you water again. Just take a well formed leaf and stick it in the soil next to the mother plant. it will root on its own. or you can let it lean over and it will root from a leave node touching the soil, then after it is firmly rooted, you can separate the two plants with a sharp knife. Hope this helps.

#8961 September 15th, 2003 at 12:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Jiffy - Thanks for the info!!! I'm glad that I should be able to grow some more from this plant, it is so beautiful I don't want to lose it. Should I have the leaf touching the mother in the dirt, or just real close?

I haven't watered it, I didn't want to with it still being wet. Any idea why it would take a week to dry?

Thank you

Scott

#8962 September 15th, 2003 at 12:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
scott, check to see that the drainage holes on your pot aren't clogged. as for the leaf, you can put it in that pot or any other pot. doesn't have to touch momma to root.

#8963 September 15th, 2003 at 12:39 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Sometimes it's the little things that you don't think about. I will check those holes ASAP.

Thank you.

Scott

#8964 September 15th, 2003 at 04:55 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Scott,
How's your weather down there???
Getting any rain?
Or wind?
Check with the WEATHER CONDITIONS

Weezie thumbup

#8965 September 16th, 2003 at 01:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Scott,

A pot that is too large is the most common reason for soil not to dry out within a week. Using a heavy soil that lacks porosity (not enough perlite, sand, or other gritty material) is another common reason.

If your jade stem is flopping over, it is probably because it is not getting enough light. Jades can survive in indirect light, but they do much better in direct sun. The soil will also dry out sooner in direct sun. A stretch of cloudy weather will also reduce water use.

Link Copied to Clipboard