This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89495 October 20th, 2006 at 08:17 AM
OP Offline
Hello. Can somebody tell me what this is?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Super_Noob/Picture009.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Super_Noob/Picture008.jpg

Little background:

I've always enjoyed gardening when I was a kid. Back then, it was just a simple pot of soil, seed, water, and some sun. I'm still young, so gardening is still like that for me angell .

When I was around 13, there used to be this pot of soil near my window sill, where my mom would grow this odd looking herb (spikey, has circular leaves, tastes odd, used in curries and soups). There was a lot of room around the plant, and curiosity would get the best of me whenever I'd eat something strange.

So basically, pretty much any fruit I came across and ate, I planted the seed in that pot. I never really got any results, but one day, I ate a couple black olives for the first time. The seeds were still in them, so that hurt my jaw pretty badly. But other than that, I decieded to plant them.

A couple months later, the same amount of black olive seeds that I had planted, came out to be the same amount of wierd looking plants that came out.

I've never seen that plant before. It doesn't look like a weed, and it hasn't ever bloomed. Doesn't look like an herb either. Any ideas? I live in Brooklyn, New York, if that helps. I've never seen this plant around this area.

I'm also really inexperienced with gardening by the way :\

Eck. Friends have been saying it looks like marijuana. Crap I hope that isn't true

#89496 October 20th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Eck. Friends have been saying it looks like marijuana. Crap I hope that isn't true
I have no idea what the plant in your picture is... wavey

#89497 October 20th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
wavey Hiya SuperNoob,
Is this a plant that you've grown from a seed that you
collected from a fruit you ate?

I may be wrong, but that sorta resembles a young "Loquat" tree.
Has it been in the ground for long?
I wonder, because I thought they weren't hardy below zone 8,
so maybe that's not what it is after all. Duh

Eriobotrya japonica, Click here , take a look and see what you think.

#89498 October 20th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, I'm not certain bu tit looks like you may have actually gotten a seed to grow! LOL! Look up Olive plants or seedlings on the net and see if you think it looks like one. I looked at a couple but they were all mature. The leaves look similar. Do you know what kind of olive you ate? That may narrow your search. smile I kind of hope it's an olive plant...That's a cool story and it would be even better if, after all the years of stuffing the pot with misc. seeds, one finally grew.

#89499 October 20th, 2006 at 09:05 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by zuzu's petals:

Eriobotrya japonica, Click here , take a look and see what you think.
WOW!

Yes that's it! They look completely the same! Thank you!

I should probably note that, I eventually had to move the plant to a bigger pot. Just now my dad decided to move the plant from the pot, to the ground. (I don't think it was a good idea though, since it was doing perfectly fine in it's incredibly large sized pot).

Honestly I haven't given these plants any special treatment. I guess, maybe during the winter months, I've put these plants back in my house to protect them from the cold. But other than that, I haven't really payed any special attention to them. I just threw em out there.

I'm going to do a bit of research on the plant right now. I'm 99.99999% sure that this is the species. But does anyone have anything to say about it? Like how I should care for it?

Oh wow! The 5 year old mystery has been solved!

#89500 October 20th, 2006 at 10:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Zuzu's got a great eye!!!!

#89501 October 21st, 2006 at 11:26 PM
R
R
definitely an EJ 'loquat'

Link Copied to Clipboard