This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89463 March 18th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
Hadeda Offline OP
OP Offline
I've literately pulled out 1/2 a bucket full of these plants each day, does anyone know the name of this plant and most importantly HOW of a more easier way how to get rid of this darned weed frown

[Linked Image]

and a close up

[Linked Image]

#89464 March 19th, 2007 at 12:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it doesn't look familiar to me.

regardless, any broadleaf weed treatment should help. go to your local garden center - bring a piece with you - and they should be able to direct you to the correct product.

#89465 March 19th, 2007 at 02:28 AM
Could it be vinca?

#89466 March 19th, 2007 at 09:02 AM
"HOW of a more easier way how to get rid of this darned weed"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I dunno the weeds name, but it's a weed here too. I notice your lawn is not thick and lush where the foto was taken. A bit thin really. If it was in a healthier condition and regularly mown long, it would out compete that weed. Looks like you may have a thatch problem and possibly a Ph correction is required. A hit of dolomite and mowing the lawn longer may in fact be half the problem solved. Just a thought but if you get the lawn going strong, the problem will go. There are people on here more knowledgable than me who hopefully will give more explicit advice.

#89467 March 19th, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hadeda,
When the weed flowers can you re~post a picture??
That may help in the weed identification..

(To me, if it gets white flowers, looks like
chickweed)

But repost the picture for us..

Hopefully someone will come thru with knowing it and how to erradicate it for you..
If no one has, post here and I will move it to Mystery, and someone may know what it is there...
(I think you're more than likely to get it identified in the Lawn Section first..)

(and p/s could your post your pictures at 480 x 640. Makes it easier to view photos' so they don't go off the page for some..)

#89468 March 19th, 2007 at 05:09 PM
Hadeda Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by joclyn:
it doesn't look familiar to me.

regardless, any broadleaf weed treatment should help. go to your local garden center - bring a piece with you - and they should be able to direct you to the correct product.
Thanks, I shall try that as a last attempt since I don't want to harm the earthworms

Originally posted by Dixie Angel:
Could it be vinca?
Thanks, I compared images I got from google and I don't think it's vinca

Originally posted by Longy:
"HOW of a more easier way how to get rid of this darned weed"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I dunno the weeds name, but it's a weed here too. I notice your lawn is not thick and lush where the foto was taken. A bit thin really. If it was in a healthier condition and regularly mown long, it would out compete that weed. Looks like you may have a thatch problem and possibly a Ph correction is required. A hit of dolomite and mowing the lawn longer may in fact be half the problem solved. Just a thought but if you get the lawn going strong, the problem will go. There are people on here more knowledgeable than me who hopefully will give more explicit advice.
Thanks, the lawn isn't as healthy as it should be since there has been a lack of rain and hot weather(107 to 110 Fahrenheit here) in South Africa. I will try and get some dolomite and set the lawnmower a tad bit higher

Originally posted by weezie13:
Hadeda,
When the weed flowers can you re~post a picture??
That may help in the weed identification..

(To me, if it gets white flowers, looks like
chickweed)

But repost the picture for us..

Hopefully someone will come thru with knowing it and how to erradicate it for you..
If no one has, post here and I will move it to Mystery, and someone may know what it is there...
(I think you're more than likely to get it identified in the Lawn Section first..)

(and p/s could your post your pictures at 480 x 640. Makes it easier to view photos' so they don't go off the page for some..)
Sure thing wink , I'll take a few photos when it flowers and resize them as soon as they flower but I noticed when I pull them up they got quite a long root

#89469 March 19th, 2007 at 05:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's a quick picture of what I said it might be..
Chickweed.

#89470 March 19th, 2007 at 05:50 PM
Hadeda Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm just hoping it isn't chickweed

#89471 March 19th, 2007 at 06:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
There's a few flowers there,
which seem to be white...
and that would indictate chickweed..
*and if the chickweed looks longer in the pictures,
it's probably just because you mow
your lawn, and a weed will eventually give any
growth habit it would have,
just to make a flower in time to make seeds,
if it keeps getting chopped off by the mower...*

But I will wait for another picture just to be sure!!! thumbup

#89472 March 19th, 2007 at 06:25 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
It looks like chickweed to me smile
weed b Gone should help you get rid of what is there, and I believe some of the pre emergent crab grass controls will also help prevent it from coming in again.

#89473 March 19th, 2007 at 07:57 PM
Hadeda Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry about the bad photo (It's night time here and had to use a torch) but I don't think it's chickweed since the chickweed flowers seem to have 5 or 10 petals over here http://tinyurl.com/ytarxl . I'll only try use poison as a last resort since I like the earthworms

[Linked Image]

#89474 March 19th, 2007 at 11:55 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, question??
That is one flower..
By any chance do they all have the same look
or by chance are there any different looking flowers???

And Thanks for all of your work and effort
getting the pictures...
We sincerely appreciate it..

And any other photo's of two or three together?

#89475 March 20th, 2007 at 11:24 AM
Hadeda Offline OP
OP Offline
No problem, it seems like all the flowers are the same and I got a photo of 2 flowers together
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#89476 March 20th, 2007 at 04:11 PM
hot weather(107 to 110 Fahrenheit here) in South Africa.
+++++++++
Aha SA. Haven't been there for a few months. I wonder if we gave you the weed or you gave it to us! We have soooo many introduced African weeds. I'm in Oz BTW. (We're gonna flog you in the world cup cricket this week but that's another story...) It's rampant here but not in the lawn, mainly because of my mower height. It's growing in amongst my pumpkin and such but will be removed when they are pulled out. End of Summer growing season now, your mower should be set fairly high. I am mowing about 3" in height and the lawn is in good condition with no water other than rain. (It's a drought here.) It's also a great time to dolomite your lawn if the soil is naturally sour. It's definitely not chickweed. That would be far more preferable. At least the chooks will eat chickweed.

#89477 March 20th, 2007 at 04:21 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
With the close up photo's I was able to figure out what it is for you.
The closest I could find is a weed called Florida Pusley, (Richardia scabra) or at least it is a very close relative of it.
It is the bane of cotton and peanut growers. In your lawn it should still go down pretty easily with any type of a 2-4.D product.

#89478 March 20th, 2007 at 04:33 PM
Yes, great closeups weren't they Mike. Seems it is an introduced weed here too and is originally from Sth America. Wish it had stayed there.

#89479 March 21st, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Originally posted by The plant Doc:
In your lawn it should still go down pretty easily with any type of a 2-4.D product.
2-4 D

Also known as 'Agent Orange' the same stuff we sprayed in Vietnam.

#89480 March 22nd, 2007 at 04:50 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
2-4 D

Also known as 'Agent Orange' the same stuff we sprayed in Vietnam.

While agent orange does have 2.4.-D in it, it is not the same thing at all.
That would be about the same thing as saying that a pickle and a potato chip are the same thing because they both have salt in them.
The other active ingredients in A.O. was and 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid, and a dioxin called: 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin (TCDD)
The TCDD is the culprit for all the adverse reactions to the compound, such as cancer and Hodgkin's disease. The herbicide 2,4-D does not contain any dioxin, and it remains one of the most-used herbicides in the world today.
While I would not go gargling with any 2.4.-D product, as long as the safety precautions which are on the label are followed, it is a safe and useful product.

Link Copied to Clipboard