This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89443 February 7th, 2007 at 03:06 AM
M
OP Offline
M
okie dokie. does anyone know what to do when one's bougainvilla turns brown and crunchy?? due to the freezes we've had here, it looks kinda, well, dead!! can i prune it to the ground and hope it'll come back??

#89444 February 7th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum!!

well, even tho it did freeze in your area - totally unusual - i'm sure it wasn't cold long enough for the ground to freeze up, so the roots are probably okay. especially if this is a well-established plant!

so, trimming back the damaged parts would be the thing to do. trim back a bit and look at the cut end...keep trimming back (every 6-8 inches or so) until you see healthy green inside.

cutting back to ground-level would probably be okay too...i'd hate to see you lose so much of your vine tho - especially if it's not really needed to give it such a drastic trimming!

#89445 February 10th, 2007 at 02:44 AM
R
R
we have a different type of soil in Cali. the frost level actually penetrated 15 inches in some areas.

cut the boug back until you reach green wood. it is NOT dead.

P.S.

wait until after the last chance of frost. that way you will not allow the cold to kill the tender new growth.

#89446 February 11th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
thenk-yew, thenk-yew verry much. i'm thinking i need to wait til around memorial day to prune this thing. that's the tradional planting weekend in the midwest. supposedly that's the frost free sign. again, thanks for the info. i actually was just outside looking at it. the new buds are goners, and i was going to start bending the vines to see where the dead ends and green starts. but like i said, i'll wait.

Link Copied to Clipboard