This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89165 March 5th, 2007 at 12:52 PM
G
Gina A Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We live in the desert in Carlsbad, NM. I really do not like succulents. We love tropical plants and mostly take vacations at the ocean. Are there any tropical plants that we can grow indoors as house plants?

#89166 March 5th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum, gina!

there are a lot of succulents that don't actually LOOK like the succulents you usually think of - the cactus and aloe.

jade plants are lovely. and then there are hoyas and pepperomia. not all pep's are succulent. kalanchoe is another one...there are many different varieties - some look the the usual succulent and other don't look like they are succulents at all!

there are plenty of other tropical plants you can grow indoors...you will need to take a/c into consideration tho.

i've got a variety of plants - chinese evergreens, parlor palm, a few pepperomia, aluminum plant, coffee plant, a couple of rubber plants, arrowhead plant/vine. any of these would be suitable for your house, too.

most of those are low-light things - there's not too much natural light coming in the windows (just a matter of how the windows are placed and that the house next door blocks a lot).

there are plenty of other plants that would do well inside with more light. citrus trees are one thing that comes to mind.

#89167 March 5th, 2007 at 07:21 PM
I believe you can grow any tropical plant you wish indoors.

Milin

#89168 March 6th, 2007 at 02:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
gina, how much effort you have to put into your "non-succulents" will depend on a few things. one of which is if you have a/c or a swamp cooler. a swamp cooler will let you grow more things with less effort.

one plant that comes to mind that i grew when i lived in the desert was a creeping charlie aka, swedish ivy. they get so large, tolerate the low humidity, and have beautiful white flowers.

any other plant can be grown indoors, but you may have to utilize a pebble tray to keep the humidity up high enough.

Link Copied to Clipboard