This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89003 February 27th, 2007 at 04:50 AM
Sharron Offline OP
OP Offline
Duh Ok...this is my story and I'm stuck with it. I planted two Thompson Seedless Grape plants two summers ago. They are probably in the best soil in my yard, but that isn't saying much. They are in shade in the morning and sunlight all afternoon. Last year I had my first big "crop" of grapes. (By big, I mean, I had about 20 bunches...lol) They looked beautiful though...until just about large and ripe enough. One day I checked them for ripeness, the next day some were turning into raisins! They NEVER turned sweet. I would like to head off the problem this year with some good advice. Can anyone help me? shocked

#89004 February 27th, 2007 at 10:16 PM
sharron
you may be killing your grapes with kindness. Grapes prefer fairly poor, well-drained soil. Too much water while the grapes are growing or ripening can reduce the sweetness. They should only be watered during extreme drought. If this doesn't help, you may need to move them into poorer soil. Don't fertilize them this year, and cut them back fairly hard. I'm no expert on grapes, this is what I've read. My one vine has done well for 3 years without any help from me...I need to get out there and prune mine, especially since I never have yet! shocked

#89005 February 28th, 2007 at 03:16 PM
Isn't it great when you were going to post a question only to find that someone has done it for you. I have recently retired to a new house and am planting a couple of grape vines in a southerly corner. I was a bit worried because the soil there is very stony and not very good. I was wondering if I should dig in a load of manure. Thanks folks, case solved. wavey

#89006 March 1st, 2007 at 01:59 AM
I've had grapevine around in my families yards all my life. We had 3 plants that grew very well and had such sweet green AND purple grapes. We never did anything to them but cut them every year!!
Over the last 8 years I have had one good old vine in my yard along the side of the house, it produces VERY well, and all I ever do is ignore it. I might go out there during the summers to give it some water when the temps reach over 100 but other then that...I do nothing at all. Think of the them as the hermits of the fruit family. They like to be left alone, not 'tended' too, and every once in a while to be checked on, oh and they like to have their 'children' leave when they are 'of age'. perpl

Link Copied to Clipboard