This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88777 January 26th, 2007 at 10:56 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi, I have a large tropical-looking 'palmy' plant (I'm not sure what kind, the generic ones you see stuck in corners of businesses and offices) that the leaves are crisping on the ends and turning brown. I was told by my mother that it is a plant that needs a moister climate, and I've been misting it every day with water, but it is not helping. The ends of the leaves just get browner and browner! The ones in the store (Wal-Mart) did not look like this - what am I doing wrong? Please help

#88778 January 26th, 2007 at 11:47 PM
maybe,keep it in the pot on a large container filled with pebbles(the clear fish rocks look nice)add water to the top of the "fish rocks",not so much that the pot is sittin in water,though.
keep the pebble tray filled. this will create humidity and may help. also, make sure the plant is not gettin too much sun.if it likes bright light, keep sheers on the window to break the harshness of the light. hope that helps. grinnnn

#88779 January 27th, 2007 at 12:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hi and welcome!!

browning of the leaf tips can mean the plant needs watering. how often are you giving it a good, deep watering?

could you possibly post a pic of the plant? that would really help us to give you the correct instructions!

if you can't post a pic, maybe a really good description of the plant would be helpful...color, shape and size of leaves, growth pattern, what kind of pot it's in, the lighting that it's getting, watering schedule, etc.

#88780 January 27th, 2007 at 02:04 AM
L
OP Offline
L
thank you both for your quick reply.
for mrs. bradley, i don't think the water on the bottom trick works in idaho, it's so unbelievably dry out here! (hasn't worked on other plants, i've tried)
it also is out of direct sunlight, i know some plants that will damage.
i give it a deep water about once every 5 days, and there is usually water in the drip pan after i do.
i have no idea how to post a picture, but to describe it - it's leaves/stems resemble that of a palm tree, not that stiff though, and it has many stems, from a foot tall to a few feet tall. it doesn't appear to grow very fast.

#88781 January 27th, 2007 at 05:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you'll need to upload the pic to a hosting site (i use photobucket.com which has a free service). once the pic is uploaded that site gives you the code info and all you have to do is copy it and then paste it into your post on this forum.

pretty easy. all you need is a digital image - either from a digital camera or a pic that has been scanned.

what kind of stem/stalk/trunk does it have? what color are the leaves? how big is the plant and what are the dimensions of the pot it's in? and what kind of pot? glazed or unglazed or plastic?

sometimes the water can cause the tips to brown up...i've got really hard water so i always let it sit overnight so that the chlorine can dissapate before i water the plants.

i've got some lucky bamboo and i started putting water in that that had not been left to sit overnight (it drinks a lot and i'd been very busy and got lazy). the tips started to brown up...too much junk in the water.

#88782 January 27th, 2007 at 12:58 PM
Laura
Here is something else to keep in mind. Is it sitting in a draft? Hot or cold? Or possibly close to window that may be getting cold at night?
Kirsten

#88783 January 27th, 2007 at 06:44 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hmm, joclyn, my lucky bamboo is doing the same thing. i have a water softener because of hard water. i had never heard of letting water sit overnight to get rid of the chlorine. i have been using the non-softened water from an outside tap, but maybe there is still a mineral in there that is conflicting with my plants...

#88784 January 28th, 2007 at 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm glad you're not using the softened water for the plants. i doubt that would be good for them!

i just keep a couple of used water jugs and keep refilling them...a bit more than half way so there's lots of surface area for the dissapation of the chlorine and let sit without the lid on then i add more water to top it off and let it sit uncovered for another night.

you might also have ammonia in the water (i do here, thank god i checked before putting my fish in the aquarium!). i don't know how that affects the plants...mine do well and i don't treat the water (for the ammonia) that i use for the plants.

your water company can provide you with chemical analysis...here they have to send you something yearly - laws may be different in your state. just give them a call and they can tell you what they use to treat the water.

#88785 January 28th, 2007 at 02:37 PM
R
R

Link Copied to Clipboard