This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88742 November 29th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
I've read that it's beneficial to stick cuttings in a pot with an established plant. Not just a "mother plant", but the cutting could be a different type of plant. Why is that?

I was reading something about it on a forum or an article from a search engine, but I think I got distracted by something and never went back to reading. Does an established plant help a cutting root faster? Deliver nutrients to it?

#88743 November 29th, 2006 at 09:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I have no clue on this one. But it sounds like there is some information missing. I don't think any cutting would be good in with any plant. Although I do cuttings in with the mother plant successfully.

#88744 November 29th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
I may have misunderstood the information. I didn't get a chance to really read it the way I wanted to. I later tried finding something about it online, but couldn't. It piqued my curiousity.

#88745 November 30th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I hate it when I can't get back to an article. Sometimes I just forget to bookmark it or my computer boots me off the internet and I don't get a chance. Well I hope you can remember what you were looking up and find it again. It's an interesting premise and I'll like to hear more about it.

#88746 February 17th, 2007 at 12:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, here is the answer.

frequently, when a person is starting a cutting, they will "over love" it in an effort to "hurry it along".

when a cutting is started in a pot with an established plant, the care of the established plant is usually followed, making it easy to properly care for the cutting.

an example is with peace lilies. if you put any kind of cutting (non succulent) in with a peace lily, you can be sure that it will get enough water, and won't be over fertilized because peace lilies are sensitive to both things. so they tell you when they are thirsty.

#88747 February 17th, 2007 at 01:10 PM
very interesting, thanks Jiffy...very true, I love my cuttings too much!

Link Copied to Clipboard