This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88714 December 29th, 2006 at 08:24 AM
B
bjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I purchased a Euphorbia x lomi "Sonoma" a while ago. It came with no culture tag, and even though I have been able to bring it to bloom, I would like to know more about what it really needs. I read conflicting information about fertilizing it... some said yes, and another said "not too much fertilizer". Does anyone know more about the most beneficial way to grow this plant to enable it to be a more prolific bloomer?

#88715 December 30th, 2006 at 02:08 PM
M
M
Hi, bjames. I don't know this specific plant, but if this is it; http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58543/index.html
then I can make a few suggestions. It looks like Euphorb milli/milii, finding out about that may be easier. That one's original plant material is from Madagascar and Mauritius island, both very arid places with very poor soil. It evolved with no fertilizer and not much water. Grown in these conditions, "hard", it's not all that pretty. Most hybrids (denoted by the x in the name) and cultivars ("Sonoma") want better conditions to thrive. However, they can't go too far from their roots (ugh, that was awful. Sorry). So, lots of sun and a quick draining not very rich soil is in order, with some diluted fertilizer. No (that I know of) cactus/succulent/xeric plant wants full strength fertilizer. 1/8 to 1/2 strength is good, the lower every time you water, the higher maybe in the growing season. You say it has bloomed for you. When? For how long? How were you treating it at that time? Research will only get you so far, observing your plant in its situation (humidity, available light, your soil/water/...) and remembering what works (take notes?) will give you more info. Just remember plants don't react quickly. Good luck. Take pics. Tell us more. Happy New Year!

#88716 December 31st, 2006 at 03:01 AM
Hi bjames,

I have a flowering pale yellow crown of thorns that is kept in a west window where it gets part sun/part shade.
They seem to be pretty easy going plants to care of, not fussy.
My COT is in flower right now, has been for months. With the right amount of light, water and food, they should bloom almost non-stop.
It will flower even more when we start to get more light as the days grow longer.
It's watered well when dry, (once a week usually) and given half, or less strength fertilizer in spring and summer.
I'm not sure if I should be fertilizing it now, but it seems to be flowering ok without it, so I probably won't feed it until April.

#88717 December 31st, 2006 at 04:50 AM
B
bjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you Margaret and DowntoEarth for your answers about the Euphorbia. I have been reinspired by your answers and will take your advice. I guess I will also continue doing pretty much as I have been doing since my plant is frequently in bloom. Thanks again.
bjames

Link Copied to Clipboard