This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88611 July 1st, 2005 at 08:42 AM
E
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I just pulled up some seedlings from my university campus in Oregon. (They were in such a place that they would have been weeded out if I hadn't rescued them.) I'm hoping to use one or both of them as a bonsai, but I want to know what to expect and how to care for them. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out what they are. Does anyone know of a good website I could find that has descriptions and pictures of various conifer varieties? I know nothing about different types of conifers (I'm not an Oregon native). Google has done nothing to help me. Any resources would be great.

I'm also trying to figure out how to post a picture so people might be able to help me out more.

#88612 July 1st, 2005 at 08:50 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If you go to one of these sites, *and there is other's too, just can't remember the names*....

PhotoBucket
WebShots
Imagestation

It's FREE to download your pictures too....
Then you can attach the URL from the place you choose, copy and paste the URL, then click on the IMAGE botton, and insert the URL into there.
*there will be a highlighted blue http:/ thing there, either delete it or click your backspace button to get rid of it

(**I personally like PHOTOBUCKET, works great for our useage here, and you don't have to be a member to view it and very user friendly to work..)
I hope this helps..

P/S There's some other gardener's that do use pictures alot and maybe able to help you alot better than I did, Afgreyparrot/Cindy, Loz, Meg, Jiffy, G~mom, plants~n~Pots, Carly....tons of them know how and can give you a hand if you need it....

#88613 July 1st, 2005 at 09:13 AM
E
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for those sites, but I forced my partner to help me figure out how to set up and put a picture on my university website. Lovely that I have two months to go and I finally find out how to do this.

http://oregonstate.edu/~goodelle/conifer.jpg

Now, can anyone tell me how to put a picture in my message? grinnnn

#88614 July 1st, 2005 at 09:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Erinne,

I'm not positive but your photo looks like a red western cedar.

#88615 July 1st, 2005 at 10:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Erinne ,
You got it posted!!!!

I don't know much about trees,
so I'm hopin' Cricket got it for you!!!

#88616 July 1st, 2005 at 10:21 AM
R
R
Here is a link for Bonsai trees that has other good links for beginners in the body.

bonsai

As for the type of tree you have....

It is difficult to determine when just new growth is showing. For example, Juniperus californica 'california juniper'. The new growth looks just like your plant; just like mature juniper. But, as it ages the foliage changes to that like a cypress. (it is in the cypress family)

If you would like a true ID, take a pic of the parent tree's foliage. Also, see if there are cones that made the volunteer. Or if there are berries of some sort.

Also, you were right to rescue the volunteer. I work @ a university, and we will remove those. I often rescue them & place them in good homes.

#88617 July 2nd, 2005 at 06:37 AM
LMT Offline
I'd lean Western Red Cedar but RugbyHukr is correct. You need to get a good look at the parent plant.

This photo site is a ton of help when you have a name (Western Red Cedar, California Juniper) to work with.

#88618 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:59 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Evergreens have to have a "winter" so remember to place it outside for some cold each year or it will die on you.

Link Copied to Clipboard