This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88495 January 29th, 2007 at 04:39 PM
OP Offline
without a tiller! Duh eek

--Mark--

kissies

#88496 January 29th, 2007 at 05:06 PM
Mark, it's called a shovel! [Linked Image] laugh

I've heard so many people say that more harm is done than good, by tilling, Duh still, I feel the need to prepare the spots I'll be planting things in, so I turn the soil "by hand" (actually, with the help of a shovel) & add whatever soil amendments that are needed.

It doesn't hurt to run a little soil test here & there, so you can add what's needed according to what you'll be planting. I don't have a soil test kit, so I take soil samples to our local County Extension office, where they give me a free analysis.

I find that I still need to "spot weed" as I go, but if there are weed seeds that have been mashed down over the winter, I know I'm not "feeding" them & giving them a good start too.

...And I only till in areas where a garden hasn't already been established.

Good luck with yours this year. Can't wait to see what come up! [Linked Image]

#88497 January 29th, 2007 at 05:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Patty! kissies

I had an established garden there before[for one or two years], but it was on a steep slope, and i removed that slope last fall... laugh

I was figuring a shovel, but wasn't sure... thumbup

#88498 January 29th, 2007 at 11:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mark,
There's something like this...
Here's one example.... It\'s called a "Broad Fork"

Here\'s another Broad Fork...

They ain't cheap, but do a great job and are
better than the tiller's really..
They do less damage to the layout and eco system of the soils..
and worms' tunnels...

#88499 January 29th, 2007 at 11:53 PM
It's a very heavy clay soil, and will probably have to add something to loosen up the soil and the drainage...
++++++++++++++++
Get hold of some gypsum and work that into the soil. Also add any compost, well rotted manures etc. I have a huge vegie area and i use a square spade. Beds are often a bit weedy when it's time to cultivate. So i use the spade to go to full depth and turn that lump upside down burying the weeds. I leave it exposed to the sun for a couple of days, add my manures etc and lightly chip it with a hoe. Then i bury the lot under a heavy straw mulch. It's a good workout and just go at your own pace. Don't do the wjhole area in one hit, do a bit at a time if it's a large area.

#88500 January 29th, 2007 at 11:58 PM
OP Offline
Thanks weezie an Longy! Duh

I'll get measurements tomorrow... thumbup

#88501 January 30th, 2007 at 01:36 AM
Did you ever think of one of these?

Push Plow

I have one and it really works good.

#88502 January 30th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Patty S:
Mark, it's called a shovel! [Linked Image] laugh
laugh laugh laugh
I have had many gardens and quite a few of them were dug with only a shovel.

#88503 January 30th, 2007 at 07:01 PM
I was thinknig of gypsum as well, but wasn't sure exactly how much to add...

I'll get measurements tomorrow...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Use a handful to the square yard.

#88504 March 2nd, 2007 at 06:52 AM
S
S
posted by comfrey:
Originally posted by Patty S:
Mark, it's called a shovel! [Linked Image] laugh laugh laugh laugh
I have had many gardens and quite a few of them were dug with only a shovel.

laugh that was too funny! all my beds were done with a shovel,

#88505 March 2nd, 2007 at 11:11 PM
laugh laugh laugh laugh

#88506 March 14th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
T
T
Heavy clay.. be careful with gypsum, it lowers the PH level, your better off with peat moss, or some manure. To break up the soil cheaply, just apply sand along with humus material (peat moss being neutral, get the cheapest or your being ripped off)), making sure it is worked in evenly. With heavy clay it takes quite a bit of sand. With enough sand well mixed in, a handful of dirt compressed should breakup easily. Difficult to have too much sand as most vegetable from California are grown in sand with very little or no soil. Sand can be purchased by the bag, 25-100 lbs, cheap, or by the yard from a masonry supply, really dirt cheap.
Rough idea... with clay, about 50 lbs per 150 lbs of clay soil( 50-100 lbs per large wheel barrow of clay soil). If manure is used make it should be worked in well before planting. If you buy sand by the yard, the cost is mostly due to the initial delivery cost, more you buy the cheaper it is. Last year I purchase 3 yards, any extra can be used on a lawn, up to 3/8" depth. Spread over my lawn on a 120 by 80 lot, you would barely know.
From Staten Island, Dongan Hills

#88507 March 14th, 2007 at 09:18 PM
W
W
Mark,I am curious to see how you are coming along! I have the same problem, and wondered how you were overcoming your soil- I had a cultivator but broke it on my first try! So to the shovel as well- how about an update?
Hope all is well,

Heather

Link Copied to Clipboard