This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Mt. Fuji is not my favorite tree, but one particular Mt. Fuji was my all-time favorite to prune.

Someone from the Brookings Harbor Garden Club emailed me about something this week, and I replied along with a cropped image of the Mt. Fuji cherry. So I put the image to good use and made this page...

My favorite tree to prune - Mt. Fuji

Everybody must have a favorite tree to prune - maybe one you used to have. What would it be?

Wow!... that is one pretty tree, and thanks! Sorry though, I really don't have a favourite tree for to prune, lol... but, in the last two years I have planted like around 40 trees out there, and so me major pruning times are, methinks/feels, yet to come... and yeowie!

Since this is in Oregon (and virtually where I am) I may have to contemplate the addition of this beauty.. I'm not that much of a landscaper, but I add things I'm intrigued with... and my neighbors are managing to confirm my process. THANKS for the pic!!! WHOO

N
N
Flowering chrries don't survive in my yard, I'm sad to say. I'm making do with an apple started from seed-- the reddish leaflets of the seedling hinted at possible pink flowers. Here it is fifteen years later.
[Linked Image]

Keeping it it to less than fifteen feet makes it quite manageable with a six foot stepladder and Fiskars pole trimmer w/adjustable cutter angle.
At my place, this guy is my favorite to prune.

What a pretty tree!!!!

D
D
Actually Mt. Fuji is one of my favorite types of Cherry tree. It is very reliable here. As far as my favorite tree to prune I'll go with anything short. I try and keep up on a fairly regular basis on any pruning so it is a little easier. I guess I like pruning Crabapples because they look so much better when your done.

Hi all..
Regarding this cherry tree and pruning: How quickly does this tree grow? If I'm not sure I'll stay at my current home for more than 2 - 5 years, would I still get enjoyment watching this grow? Or is it very slow??

ANd would this be a good tree for a novice tree pruner?

OP Offline
Medium. Certainly not fast growing, but I'd never call it a slow growing tree.

You can get 1' to 2' feet per year, the first few years.

I saw a weeping flowering cherry tree the other day,but cannot remember where.It was beautiful,I'd love to have one.cherry trees do very well here on the Oregon coast. luv

Link Copied to Clipboard