This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8840 December 29th, 2003 at 02:02 AM
OP Offline
I am looking for the best uses for rooting hormone. What plants are best, what should I place the cuttings into and how should I cut the plants to be grown? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

#8841 December 29th, 2003 at 07:40 PM
In my personal experience, rooting hormone is most useful when rooting hardwood cuttings. Some plants root very easily with no treatment, others are harder to root, and the hormone is helpful with them. A search on propagation of the specific cuttings you are considering should give you more info on ease of propagation.
I place cuttings into the specific type of media that is recommended for each plant, some prefer lighter soil, sandy soil, coarse media, etc., and some will do well in any good propagation mix, or good potting soil. Again, it depends on the specific plant.
Most cuttings should be taken below a node, as this is where roots will form. It's beneficial to include as many nodes as possble below the surface of your media, for more root developement.
When using rooting hormone, I suggest putting the necessary amount of hormone into a seperate container (I usually use a pill bottle), rather than dipping the cuttings into the original container of hormone, and then disposing of any leftover hormone, as this eliminates the risk of contamination in the event of diseased cuttings.

Nikkal

Link Copied to Clipboard