This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88330 August 31st, 2003 at 05:15 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Well , I 'm new to the forums here , but I 'll introduce myself later... For now, I have some plants that I need help identifying...

Images are listed after the descriptions and stuff , if avalible.

I live in South Carolina, if it will be any help. I am about a mile from North Carolina and an hour or so from the coast. My area has many swamps and ponds and rivers and such.

If you'd like a better picture of any of the plants, please let me know. I'll take some ASAP and get them on here.

The first one grows near my mailbox as well as in a few other places. I think its rather shady over there, but it gets a good share of sunlight. I live on a dirt road and it grows on the edge... almost in the road. I have looked online and found that it might be a type of catnip. I wasn 't too sure so I picked a bit of it and gave it to a kitty and he went nuts and ate most of the leaves.
The plant has small white flowers and leaves in sets of two's with opposite sets of two's underneath each set. In the picture that I have, you can't really see it very well. The best one is probably the one that was cut off at the top left. I will try to get more pictures soon.
plants/catnip.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I'm not very sure at all what the next plant is. It grows almost exclusively in shade. It grows around some bushes, beside my house, and in corner at my porch. It almost looks like small mimosa leaves , but I don't think it is mimosa because we have a ton of them around here so I 'd know mimosa. Underneath the leaves, there are small seed-like things. I'm unsure of the number of leaves on the stem, but I will try to get a count tomorrow and update. Alsp, I think that the leaves alternate on sides. Right after you pick it, the leaves kind of curl up and stay that way. I thought it strange but I 'm not a pro.
plants/noclue1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

This one is kind of strange, too. It grows almost in tubes. When you pull the top, parts of it will slide out and the parts are hollow. It has a nice look to it if you ask me, but I have no idea what it could be. I think it does grow back each year but I 'm unsure.
plants/dunno.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

This picture has a lot of plants in it. If you think you might know what one is, let me know and tell me which and I 'll get a better picture of it.
plants/lots.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I think this picture is what I was trying to get in the one above. The main one I want to know about is the one in the left that looks kind of purplish-green in the leaves. Feel free to identify other plants in there, too.
plants/lots1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

This plant is kind of interesting. I've seen it in a few places but none that I could get a shot of like this. It's a weed or plant with small purple flowers on it. It has a lot of small places that are like those on bermuda grass, sort of. I'm not sure what the name for the things are so I hope you all can tell me.
It grows in a rather shady place with a ton of other plants.
Anywho , here 's the best picture I could get of the top part. It is in the left side of the shot.
plants/purp.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

This is a picture of a leaf of the plant.
plants/purphand.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Ok, well, I have some things to do and I don't want this to big too big of a post so I'm going to just post the other images and things later.

I'm dying for help so any that anyone could offer would be the best. Thanks for at least reading

-=The Prynce

--- Sorry if some of the pictures don't work or the formatting is off. The server went down when I was posting and I had to recover it in the most painful way. ---

#88331 August 31st, 2003 at 05:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Welcome The Prynce to the garden helper. I found your pics interesting, unfortunately, I can't help you. However, keep checking back, someone will have the answers!!

#88332 September 13th, 2003 at 09:09 PM
S
S
Hi, Prince! The only thing I think I can help you on with the photos is the second one. I hate to say it, but those are weeds. I have them all over the place in my yard, and they are prolific seeders, as you may have noticed. Do not let them get into your plant pots or flowerbeds, and when you pull them, do not just pile them somewhere...put these little monsters in a bag or something, as the seeds will go everywhere, and they're a serious pain to get rid of. They almost choked out a few of my plants, so be watchful.
Happy gardening! wavey

#88333 September 26th, 2003 at 11:31 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I was pretty sure they are weeds of some sort. Do you know the names of them, though?

-=The Prynce

Link Copied to Clipboard