This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88200 January 19th, 2007 at 07:15 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my jade...
plants/Jade002.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

It doesn't seem to be overly finicky as every month I turn the pot so that the opposite side of the plant gets the sun (I hate it when the plant grows slanted towards the light). It doesn't drop it's leaves when I turn it and seems to handle that bit of change OK. That being said, we close on the house next Friday and tomorrow I am taking the jade to my MIL's house where we will mostly be staying until we make our big move. I'm terrified that its going to drop all of it's leaves! I LOVE this plant....its one of the first ones that I got as a baby that has actually lived for me! Do you think since it handles the change of turning the pot that maybe it'll handle the move a little better than I'm expecting?

#88201 January 20th, 2007 at 12:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it should. especially if you can get it to a similarly situated window. check with a compass to make sure.

#88202 January 20th, 2007 at 05:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW!!! that is an absolutely beautiful specimen, jenn!!!!

turning it regularly, as you do, is the best thing to do...really helps it to be a well-balanced plant. and it DOES keep it from growing crooked!

hopefully your mil has a window that faces the same direction as yours and it's got the same amount of light shining in.

if not, find as good a spot as you can and use a grow light for a couple of weeks to help transition the jade with as little stress as you can.

start off with the light set on a timer so that it will go on at dawn and off at dusk. leave it like that for at least 5 days so the plant can get used to the air quality and moisture conditions at mil's.

then start cutting back on the time the light is on...shorten the time by 2 hours a day and take it down every 2 days until it's not on at all. you shouldn't lose one leaf.

#88203 January 20th, 2007 at 07:11 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
the lighting is going to be really hard. See that house in the window? the window faces north, but what happens is, the house reflects the sun into that window......so I'm really not sure just how much that plant gets!!!

Here's hoping!

#88204 January 20th, 2007 at 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, just put the jade in a window that is facing the same direction as this one, then. as long as the conditions outside the window are similar (as in there's no huge tree by the one at mil's) then it should be fine. might lose a leaf or two, might not.

i wouldn't do the extra light if you're not really sure how much it's getting now...or, maybe just do an a hour or two a day of the light - kind of a compromise on the issue...

#88205 February 6th, 2007 at 06:45 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Now that we are somewhat settled here at my MIL's house, I thought I'd give an update on the Jade. I found a tall box that was the perfect size for the pot that it is in. So, I boxed up the plant, closed the top and it sat in the back seat on the way up. I kept the plant pretty dry up until just after we got up here and once we were here put it in a north facing window and gave it a drink. I lost one leaf, but that was an iffy leaf to begin with as it was extremely close to the soil line and had been damaged. I let it scar over and I'm trying to get it to root now so I'll have a baby Jade. So, all seems well with the plant so far! Here's hoping!

#88206 February 7th, 2007 at 05:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
glad to hear it!!

Link Copied to Clipboard