This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I would love help figuring out what I should do next spring landscaping-wise!

We had to cut back our tree in the front drastically, since it was in danger of falling on someone! It's a Norwich maple, I believe and pretty darn old!

As a result, we have more sun in our front yard. We love the trees we have, however, the arborists have warned us that the flowering trees as well as the Norwich is almost at the end of their lifespans.

I'm just at a loss how to landscape next spring. I absolutely LOVE Zinnias....all shapes, sizes, colors!! I don't know whether that would be feasible, but I'd love something like that, annuals that really grown and take up space in the garden.

Let me know your thoughts..I am absolutely interested in your ideas!

Barbara

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Barb,
Did you take any pictures of the area,
after the tree went down???
Might help a wee~bit to get an idea..
*of shape, size, etc.*
If you don't have one from earlier..
one from the area now?

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm in zone 7 and I am able to do zinnias in part shade without a problem. They are very very easy grow. I start them indoors so I can enjoy the blooms for as long as possible. And since you can get tall ones medium sized one and tiny ones you can have a really really full garden space with them.

To add blue & white to the mix delphinium are also nice. Their flower spikes make a nice change from the daisy-like shape of the zinnia.

Or you can intermix closia seeds in the bed for a change of texture while staying in the same color range. But they have to be sown directly into the garden in summer to really do well.

I would definitely do some of the cut and come again type so that you can have boquets in the house as well as out in the garden.

I love Zinnia's too! I like "State Fair Mix" - the more you cut, the more they flower. They are tall and fill in quickly. They grow very well here in full sun zone 5.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Zinnias are one of my all time favorites! I had so many cut flowers from them this year!

[Linked Image]

Its so pretty Loz!!

That makes me feel warm and sunny and happy just looking at it ! flw

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It made me feel hot! I think it was around 95 degrees that day! laugh

The Zinnias surrounding my pond were my favorite thing in the yard this year! thumbup

B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by weezie13:
Barb,
Did you take any pictures of the area,
after the tree went down???
Might help a wee~bit to get an idea..
*of shape, size, etc.*
If you don't have one from earlier..
one from the area now?
Hey, Weezie

I haven't taken any photos...but I can..

I'm just wondering if zinnias can work in a sorta sunny area rather than shady or full sun.

Any thoughts??? I am not interested in putting in any more perennials right now, since I'm thinking of putting a sun porch on the front of the house.

Barb

B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Loz,

I love your photos! Awesome!!! I think they are the best I've ever seen! Mine tend to clump together more than they should. I think they are wonderful the way you have planted them.

Wow...thanks for sharing them. I love all zinnias too....and intend to place them in the front and back this summer and see what happens!

Thanks everyone!
Barb

S
S
i love zinnias too! i have the California giants and med Lillie putts, they did well in both full sun and part shade. dont forget to get us pic Barb!

I am also a zinnia lover.......They have awesome color when blooming...I planted the spider zinnia this year and it was so pretty I couldnt stop looking at the different colors.. They bloomed till frost.

I loved your photo with the pond and flowers.
You have the right idea.

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard