This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88067 January 15th, 2007 at 01:40 AM
Jillbc Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Everyone,

It has been a few months since I last checked in, and even before then I was considerable new...but anyhow, Happy New Year!

Here is my problem: I have a golden pothos that seemed to have been root bound (it was kept in a 6" diameter pot for almost 3 years) and did not show new signs of growth. I transplanted it into a slightly larger pot, added some additional potting soil, and now - not only is it not growing - some of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off!

Could anyone please help me and let me know what I could have possibly done wrong? Is it because of the additional soil? HELP!!!

#88068 January 15th, 2007 at 03:07 AM
How long is it?? Do your fertalize it?? And it probably has a little transplanting shock.. Mine did the same thing after I re potted it.. The one I used to have was like 20 feet long and I chopped it all back and that was like 6 months ago... it is just now starting to look halfway decent now Duh

#88069 January 15th, 2007 at 03:09 AM
From what I understand if the leaves are turning yellow, could you be overwatering it? Pothos don't like to stay too moist. I have 3 hanging in my living room and only give them a little bit of water every couple of weeks or so and they are doing great. My pots don't drain so I'm extra careful no to give them too much water.

#88070 January 15th, 2007 at 03:13 AM
I never think of that cher..I am Terrible about not watering my plants... I only have one that I have to water everyday and that is my bonsai.. shocked

#88071 January 15th, 2007 at 05:00 AM
How much bigger a pot did you use?

#88072 January 15th, 2007 at 07:39 AM
Springfever, I'm all about plants that thrive on neglet. laugh

#88073 January 15th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pothos will turn color like that if they are not watered enough...since you just put it in a larger container, it's possible that it wasn't watered throroughly enough to compensate for the larger size of the pot.

they will also turn color when overwatered...lol.

so, you're going to have to check the soil and see which it is!! smile

also, this is a major shock (3 years is VERY long to wait to repot) for the plant...so, some leaf loss is inevitable.

if you put it in a different location, too, that will also cause problems - they don't seem to like quick changes too much.

can you post a pic? that would be really helpful!

#88074 January 16th, 2007 at 08:43 AM
Jillbc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you guys!

Well, let's see...the pot is only 2" larger, it remains in the same location, and it is not long at all (4"?).

I think I may be overwatering it b/c I usually water it about once every other week and it is also in a pot that does not drain.

Unfortunately, I am not that adept in posting pictures to this site. I knew a picture would help...

#88075 January 16th, 2007 at 11:40 AM
Pots without drainage holes can sometimes be a little tricky thumbup

Maybe your pothos is just a little annoyed at being re-potted and will come around in time.As long as it dries out between waterings, it should be ok!

#88076 January 16th, 2007 at 05:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ahh, no drainage...that can definitely be a problem for pothos...

downtoearth has it right on the mark...water it and let it sit a bit and then pour off the excess and it should be fine.

to post pics, start an account at a hosting site and then you upload pics to your account. you can post the code to link to the pic in your posts on the forums.

i use photobucket.com it's really easy to use and it's free. it gives you the codes right there next to the pic after it uploads...just click on the IMG tag and it auto copies. then you just click in the reply area on the thread and paste it. simple!

#88077 January 17th, 2007 at 02:10 AM
hay ladies i need help trimming my pothos can anyone help me

#88078 January 17th, 2007 at 02:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you can do trimming pretty much wherever you want to. long pieces or short pieces. they'll root in water or soil...just make sure to have a couple nodes covered (the bumps along the vine) and they should start rooting within a couple of weeks.

Link Copied to Clipboard