This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8794 October 17th, 2002 at 05:49 AM
C
codadog Offline OP
OP Offline
C
In the spring, I planted several cannas and dahlias. I live in zone 6. I would like to know if I have to pull them up or if I can leave them in the ground with 3 or 4 inches of mulch? If I leave them in the ground, can I dig them in the spring and separate them? Thank you

#8795 October 18th, 2002 at 04:48 AM
A
A
I live in zone 6b and for the last several years I have kept my cannas in the ground and they always come back. I'm afraid I have never tried to overwinter dahlias outside, however. If you want to divide your cannas, wait until spring when you see them starting to come up, dig them up, divide them, and replant.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: alankhart ]

#8796 October 22nd, 2002 at 12:22 PM
O
O
I live in zone 6a and have always dug out my dahlia tubers, dried them and put them in storage for the winter. They are not really hardy in our zone...

#8797 December 1st, 2002 at 01:53 PM
B
B
This is to reply to the person from Cincinatti, OH. Canas I do not know about. However Dahlias I have grown for years. Answer to your question about digging them up. If it is real cold in the winter or lots of rain and snow in zone 6, yes should dig your dahlias up after the first frost. You should divide and store them in a root cellar where the temperature will remain between 45 and 50 degrees. Why root cellar?
Because the temperature in a root cellar stays quite consistent. You should store them in crates or boxes and cover the dahlias in bark dust or vermiculite. This will best protect the tubers over the winter.

In a climate where there is lots of snow or winter rain leaving the dahlias in the ground is too risky. There is a good possibility that your dahlias will develop root rot or else freeze. If that happens, your dahlias have gone bye bye.

I hope this answers the question regarding dahlias. smile bomar1224@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard