This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8781 November 12th, 2002 at 02:15 PM
A
April Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm having a problem with some narcissus bulbs that I planted and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I planted some narcissus bulbs in mid-October (I live in central Oklahoma) and a few of them have started to sprout. I'm wondering what I can do to stop these bulbs from blooming now so that they will bloom in the spring. Should I cut off their sprouts?Also, I'm wondering what I can do to keep this from happening again.

Thanks for any help you can share.

#8782 November 16th, 2002 at 03:31 PM
A
A
I absolutely love planting narcissus every year. It is best not to plant them until cooler weather sets in permanently, thus avoiding premature sprouting. I usually set them out after Thanksgiving, or after the first light frost.

I wouldn't cut off those sprouts, I'd just leave them be. You may lose a few blooms, but with colder weather just around the corner, I'd bet it'll stop them from growing further and using up all their energy they should need for spring.

Next time, I'd just set them out later, to prevent sprouts too early.

Link Copied to Clipboard