This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I've seen this plant in many peoples' houses but I'm not sure what it is. My friend just gave me hers and I'd like to know how to properly care for it, but I need to know what it is first!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t225/robynvannorman/Que.jpg

Thanks so much for your help people!

wavey It's a ficus elastica (rubber tree)

I can't give you anymore advice on the care because I don't own one, but I'm sure someone here does and can tell you more.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yup, rubber tree. indirect light and do a deep watering weekly - check the soil first, it should be dry down a couple of inches. if it's still a bit moist, give it a day or two and check it again.

you can put it outside in the summer, if you want - just make sure it's in a shaded spot on the porch.

i've got mine in a north-facing window and it's doing very well there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeh, they do great outside in the summer in a shaded spot like Joclyn said. thumbup

Here's mine in the corner of my back porch...it grows fantastically when I put it outside...It gets sun until around 11am then it's in total shade.

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/proloz/DSC01958.jpg?t=1170114771[/img]

I don't water mine often at all....maybe once every week and a half or so.....I moved it into the sunniest window in the house 2 years ago and it likes it there....3 years before that I had it in a different window and it dropped tons of leaves....in it's new spot it doesn't drop any.

I have mine outside in the spring and summer Get suns and shade on south side. It gets keeps getting bigger and bigger. I already cut off top and replanted it in the bottom and it's time to cut off top again but I'll wait until spring and after I've put it out for a while before I do. Right now it is in the south window and it goes right out side that same window when weather permits.

I believe it's well over 7 ft it's well over the door frame now

[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now that looks cool! thumbup thumbup Only I'd hate to have to try to carry that outside and back in again! laugh Mine's only around 3 1/2 feet now, but it grows a lot each year while it's outside.

Loz it is hard to bring in and out, It's sooo awkward and long not so much heavy , But I do just the same every spring and winter!! cuz I love her soo much! grinnnn

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heck mine isn't anywhere near that tall and it's really heavy, but each spring I about kill myself carrying it out so she can perk up and get her sunshine! laugh Even if it were as big as yours I'd find a way to get it out there.... thumbup

Originally posted by loz:
Even if it were as big as yours I'd find a way to get it out there.... thumbup
I know that's right My friend!! thumbup laugh laugh laugh

Probably doesn't feel so heavy to me , cuz' I lift 100lb bags of plaster and 50lb boxes of pumice at work,, Boy Does Jimmy not like seeing me do that but it's part of my job if i need it I have to get it out of supply. but after years of doing that I have pretty strong upper arm strength lala

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you could do with a couple of muscular guys to carry yours! wink

Awww the guys there always say they have back problems I bet I could out throw a football in distance against those wimps!! laugh laugh I'm used to it tho ' untill one day When I fall out on the floor with dry plaster all over me what A site that'll be..

Any way this spring I will cut the top of my rubber tree off again cus it's starting to look 'gangly again.. amazing how it just roots up soo nice. For me this is basically a carefree plant. the only problem I have is when it gets really windy or rain storms have found it blown over and laying down but it always says "thankYou" for uprighting it and continues as tho' nothing happened!!

cool thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard