This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87590 February 19th, 2007 at 12:15 AM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
I had stopped filling the bird feeders when it was so warm out so the birds would eat all the seed they spilled on the ground. Anyway when it got cold and snowy, I went out and filled them. I kid you not, within less than half an hour the sharp-shinned hawk flew in and had lunch. He returned for dinner and the next morning he appeared for leftovers. Thornius had told me the hawk was either a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp-shinned hawk. My bird book told me to check the tail, if rounded- a Cooper's, if square, a Sharp shinned. I guess hawks need to eat too, but I can't believe that he came so quickly.

#87591 February 19th, 2007 at 12:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't mean to laugh! ok, I shouldn't laugh. I hate when the hawk does that.

What kind of birds did you lose?

If you can maybe you can relote the feeder. It sounds to me like you have it out in the wide open. Can you put it under trees or closer to shelter.

It also sounds like you more than one hawk! You may have both kinds. Coopers and sharp-shinned are hard to tell apart. We have both. They don't do well in our yard. We have too many birds and lots of trees and other obstructions.

They don't try when the trees are clothed

#87592 February 19th, 2007 at 01:39 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
All 12 seed feeders are in amongst the large treelike lilac bushes. Mr. Hawk gets the ones that feed on the seed that falls to the ground. From what I can tell he got the tufted titmouse birds. Too bad he wasn't in the mood for those grackles that go for the 3 suet feeders. I have not seen Mr. hawk for a couple of days. I feel bad about presenting him with a birdie buffet but I love to feed the birds and watch. My husband told the neighbors that if they see me in the slider with binoculars, that I was bird watching, not neighbor watching!

#87593 February 19th, 2007 at 02:19 PM
I wonder if hawks like starling or house sparrows... That would be good all around pest control.
I've had sharpies take birds from in my dense pine branches.

#87594 February 19th, 2007 at 03:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
12 feeders!!! You are an addict too!!
Pleased to meet you! I can only imagine your bird food budget.

What a drag! Hawks should not eat titmouses... they a such a scrawny bird!!! Yummmo starlings would be way better!

I only found two files of feathers in my yard - both in late fall. Both mourning doves ... glorified pigeons if you ask me! I can have 30 at a time. So the hawk can have them too. But, not my titmouses!!!

Oh, I would die if one took a downy or a chickadee or nuthatch or my baby the - carolina wren! shk Oh no! you'd probably have to sedate me shk shk

#87595 February 19th, 2007 at 03:23 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband once remarked about my bird budget and I told him it was my vice. I don't drink or smoke and I don't clothes shop much now that I am retired so I guess I have become a birder. I even feed the squirrels. Like my mother I am a soft touch when it comes to animals. I don't have house animals anymore because my husband really does not like them. He was raised in a pet free home and just can't get into it, even though he has tried. So, I take care of the outdoor wildlife and my daughter's horse while she is away at college. But I guess I am addicted to the birds!

#87596 February 19th, 2007 at 03:53 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Northern Mockingbirds living in your yard are the BEST deterrent for Starlings. Set out fruit (especially apples, grapes, and oranges) and suet to attract Mockers to your yard. They are also fond of peanut butter (as are MANY birds).

#87597 February 19th, 2007 at 03:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deb
Me too! Of course, I do have other vices luv you

#87598 February 19th, 2007 at 04:12 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jane and DEB, go to Tractor Supply Company (TSC) They have a 50 pound bag of Black Oil Sunflower seed for $12.00!!!

I get my suet at Krogers (Grocery store chain) at 3 cakes for $2.00, although TSC's are about as cheap.

For feeders try Big Lots, Walmart, or Dollar tree. These store have MANY feeders for less than $5.00.

#87599 February 19th, 2007 at 05:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh thorny you frugal man! I shop big lots and wal mart all the time. If I buy one more $5 I'll be able to open my own store!

#87600 February 19th, 2007 at 05:08 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I'm retired with two disability pensions. That's why I HAVE to be frugal laugh . If I had a regular job I'd have the $10,000.00 SLR Digital camera setups that several of the folk on birdersworld.com forum have. I have to go with my little $200.00 Point-and-Shoot digital camera. It's all I can afford right now until the royalty checks come in from the GIGANTIC! platinum and diamond deposits they JUST discovered under my house.

#87601 February 19th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thorny, I still wouldn't have a $10,000 camera. Those dudes have tripods that cost thousands too!

#87602 February 19th, 2007 at 07:17 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
I think 13 seed feeders are quite enough. When I accompany my husband to Home Depot or anywhere that sells bird stuff he tells me to step away from the bird stuff.I agree with being frugal but my family tells me I am cheap. Just the other day I went to a local mall to get new walking shoes so I could enjoy??? my treadmill once again. Anyway, I stopped at JC Penney and they had racks and shelves full of clearance stuff for men. I mean cheap- $2.97 an item! I spent just over $15.00 including the dang NY tax and picked up a pair of docker pants, 2 long sleeved pocket t-shirts, and 2 long sleeved plaid dress shirts for my husband-he is not retired. I love the dollar store and Tracter supply is great too. I usually buy the seed and suet cakes in bulk. And Thorny, the grackles and starlings are eating the stuff at an alarming rate. I fear the Mockingbirds would have to fight their way in to the suet feeders. I also have success with the wire tube feeder for the tree clinging birds. I need to find a way to limit the hawk, but I don't think that is possible. Debbie

#87603 February 19th, 2007 at 07:42 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
The Mockingbirds will tear into the Starlings and rip them ALL a new one. The Starlings detour around my yard if they see Mr. and/or Mrs. Mocky around the feeders. I keep plenty O' apples on the platform so the Mockers will stay and the Starlings, WON'T!

#87604 February 19th, 2007 at 08:36 PM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
I will put out some of the apples I got for the horse. I need a Mockingbird or two in my yard. When I looked out a little while ago, there was a little red squirrel. I've seen gray ones but this is the first time I've seen a red one. He likes the coated peanut nuggets. Another bargain I found was the suet feeders at Home Deot this summer. They were copper topped and on the clearance rack for $2.50. I saw the same ones on e-bay for $11.00. Gurss what some of my friends got for Christmas?

Link Copied to Clipboard