This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87460 March 12th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm having problems with my Blood Orange tree that I planted in my yard five months ago here in Los Angeles, CA. Beautiful new growth is appearing but a lot of the small new leaves are withering away and falling off. And some of the new growth and blossoms are just falling off. (Lots of them.) I thought perhaps it was some kind of small unseen mite problem so I sprayed with Neem, but so far this doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello, Welcome Aboard..
We're glad you found us!!

Papito may know something about it..
He lives in Calif, and grows several types
of citris..
Give him a wee~bit of time to swing thru!!!

P
P
I have a few blood orange trees myself [Moro and Sanguinelli] in plastic pots.

Some of the most common causes of blossom and leaf drops are

overfertilization
[ in California, citrus trees are fertilized 3X a year from 1 to 2 years after planting, thereafter, 2X a year until maturity. fertilizer is applied between February and September. if overfertilized, water deeply to leach excess fertilizer.]

improper watering
[too much, too little. if the roots becomes too dry, followed by deep watering. try to water on a more regular basis. water when the top 3 inches of top soil is dry. ]

unseasonable changes in temperature
[a run of cold weather, followed by normal temperature, like we had experienced lately, can stress the plant.]

pH level too acidic or too alkaline
[either one can inhibit uptake of nutrients from the roots to the leaves. check the pH. the ideal range is pH 6.0 to 6.5]

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard