This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87214 March 9th, 2007 at 12:45 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I live in zone 6b and want to plant some muscadines. How can I care for them? The county agent say they don't do so good here. Would appreciate any comments and help.
Monajean

#87215 March 9th, 2007 at 01:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
MonaJean,
Did your county agent give you reasons why they wouldn't do good there??? Duh Duh

And what are your summer's and winters like?

Snow? Heat?

I always thought those kinds are supposed to be better for the warmer temp'ed places..

*Usually the grape types up here need a cooler temp to good*

#87216 March 11th, 2007 at 09:35 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the message. No the county agent didn't give a reason that I know. I didn't talk to him, my brother did.
Our summers are hot and the winters cold and some snow. It gets down to the one digit temps sometimes in the winter but don't always have snow. Some winters are worse than others, occasionally have ice storms where everything is solid ice for a few days but not often.
Monajean

#87217 March 12th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
monajean,
I live in MS and we have lots of muscadines. Our weather isn't as cold as yours but I don't see why you couldn't mulch them heavily during the winter. Do you have a source to order from? If so, what type of conditions does it say they can handle? I used to live in Little Rock and sure do think I remember them growing in the woods behind my house. If I had known earlier, I could have gotten you some seeds. We had some growing at our deer camp that were too high for the deer to reach and they produced a real heavy crop this year. Wonder if I could find some small ones to dig up for you. PM me if you're interested and I will see if I can find some young plants to dig up.

#87218 March 12th, 2007 at 11:28 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Marlene,
Sounds good to me. How do I plant them? The two plants my brother ordered for me are a lot of hard work. First have to kill all the burmuda grass so none is around them and then plant them 20 feet apart. We got the T-posts in the ground and Round-Up on the grass today. The county agent said do not plant before March 15, my brother said to keep the plants in the refrig til then but I don't know if they are even still alive. So if you can find any let me know.
It gets colder here than Little Rock but you know that and bet you know where Mountain Home is.
Monajean

#87219 March 14th, 2007 at 11:39 PM
W
W
I have more muscadines ( and scupperdines) wild here than I will ever know what to do with- I've spent the past month trying to get rid of some and cutting back all I can- I am in a 7a zone, so these could probably work well for you too- have never dug them up or shipped them but if someone can guide me I'd be glad to send a few that way.

Peace and kindness,

Heather

#87220 March 15th, 2007 at 01:11 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Heather,
I don't know how to do it either. My brother had some shipped to him and they came with the roots wrapped in plastic with a little mulch inside the plastic. Then just stuck in a box. He gave me 2 plants but only supposed to last up to 2 weeks in the refrig and it's been longer than that. But the county agent said not to plant before March 15th. If they aren't dead I'll try to plant this weekend. But I believe they are dead. So would appreciate some wild muscadines.
Monajean

#87221 March 15th, 2007 at 01:43 AM
W
W
PM me with you address- I will get some for you soon, as I have left quite a few still around.
We just moved to a 20 acre farm, and it has been a wonderful adventure taking walks with the girls and seeing what has been planted here (or wild) over the years and trying to identify it all. I also have a ton of heirloom roses, I think- No one can idenitfy them yet! Glad these plants will have a good home- will trade for cultivation tips! wavey
Peace and Joy,

Heather

#87222 March 15th, 2007 at 04:00 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Hi Y'all,
Wildheather, it would be best if your muscadines are still dormant (which they should be this time of year) when you dig them up. Try to include as much root as you can when you dig them up. Put them into a small bathroom trash can size bag and add enough soil or peat to cover the roots. Wrap the top of the bag around the stem section and loosly twist tie it to hold in the peat or soil. Make sure to moisten (not soak) the soil before you twist tie shut. If the plants are too small for a bag of this size, use a smaller bag following the same procedure. Carefully place in an appropriate size box using newspaper to pack around plants as necessary. It shouldn't take too long to get from NC to AR--I believe they should make it just fine. And yes, Monajean, I know where Mountain Home is--nice place wink Are you making jelly or wine from these? They do make mighty fine jelly and wine. If y'all need any more help, feel free to ask (PM me if you need to).

#87223 March 15th, 2007 at 05:32 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I'll be making jelly, jam and perserves with them.
Monajean

Link Copied to Clipboard