This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87137 January 7th, 2007 at 12:01 AM
C
clr Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am in Manhattan and am lucky enough to have some garden space. I planted narcissus, tulips and crocus in my flower beds in late October, but because it has been so unseasonably warm they have started sprouting! The crocus are over 6 inches high snd the tulips and narcissus are just coming up. Will the bulbs die when winter finally hits? Can they recover and bloom in spring? Is there anything I can do to save them?

#87138 January 7th, 2007 at 01:02 AM
Hi clr - I am in Rockland County, not far from you. They had an article in our paper just 2 days ago about this subject. They said not to worry about bulbs that are sprouting now - my tulips and hyacinths all are also!

While no one is sure whether they will bloom again if they bloom now, the bulbs will be ok. We are in for cold weather after this weekend, so they most likely will not bloom, in which case they should in spring.

Isn't it just crazy this year?
I'm hoping to read on my deck later today, if the sun stays out for more than 5 minutes at a time!

#87139 January 7th, 2007 at 01:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My bulbs are all up! I had to go out the other day and try to cover them all up some....this is the weirdest winter EVER!

#87140 January 7th, 2007 at 01:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Hi Loz,
Jane here. I'm new around these parts and I live in Maryland too! I live 30 miles east of Frederick and just off I70.
It's especially cool to meet another Marylander flw flw

#87141 January 7th, 2007 at 01:36 AM
Hi clr, nice to meet another member from NYC! wavey
I'm from Staten Island, and the same thing is happening to my Tiger lillies, and other plants... I was just going to post a question regarding this, but you seemed to have taken care of it for me! laugh
Now, I know that it is nothing to worry about.. kissies

--Mark--

#87142 January 7th, 2007 at 01:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jane, I'm WAY out west...about 20 minutes from Cumberland if you've ever heard of that. laugh

We go to Ocean City every year for a week. thumbup Glad to see a fellow Marylander too! muggs

I guess everyone seems to have bulbs coming up....poor things, no wonder they are confused with this weather.

#87143 January 7th, 2007 at 02:52 AM
P
P
yup mine too!
daffodils and hyacynths are coming up.
raked some leaves over em
hope it helps!

#87144 January 7th, 2007 at 03:09 AM
I am in Orange County and my spring bulbs are up, the peonies are sprouting and the delphenium are starting to sprout too. When I took down the greens I had around the doorway for Christmas, I put them over some of the sprouting bulbs and flowers. This weather sure has fooled mother nature!

#87145 January 7th, 2007 at 04:39 AM
A
A
I actually have a few daffodils that are about to bloom! I have several other perennials that are starting to show signs of growth, so I went and got a bunch of pine straw and covered them up. We've had warm winters here, but never this early (the only really cold weather we've had was back in November). My hydrangeas are budding and leafing out, so I probably won't get many if any blooms this year since they will be nipped by the soon-to-be freezing weather.

#87146 January 7th, 2007 at 10:04 PM
Some of my daffidols and sedums are starting to show signs of growth...really srange weather. The last time our weather was this warm, we had a snow strom in feburary. The gv't had to get the army to shovel the snow...freaky

#87147 January 7th, 2007 at 10:58 PM
I too, have things popping up in the garden! Daffodils, Violets, Vinca in bloom, and my Clematis has leaves that want to open. Should I cover this stuff with compost? It looks like the weather will be more seasonal starting later in the week.

#87148 January 8th, 2007 at 02:43 AM
My forsythia has already bloomed and the spirea is blooming now. Very pitiful looking though with just a few flowers. The daffs are up and ready to open any minute. I have 2 butterfly bushes that are fully green and the lorapedlum is in full bloom. I have not seen a crocus one though and they're usually first to show through here. I'll just have to wait and see what the spring brings.

#87149 January 8th, 2007 at 10:59 AM
I have daffodils coming up now, just saw them peeking out today. We are due for a freeze this week so I have no clue how it is going to affect them.

#87150 January 8th, 2007 at 11:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess it's best to do some covering Triss.....that's what I've been doing, running around covering them with a bit more dirt and leaves and crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

#87151 January 8th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
I have daffodils and tulips coming up and over where my lillies are...them too.....i try to cover them and hope for the best.

#87152 January 17th, 2007 at 03:10 AM
I still have pansies blooming that haven't stopped. nutz

#87153 January 17th, 2007 at 03:14 AM
My pansies have bloomed all winter long as well. They sure do not last long with the freezing temps at night.

#87154 January 17th, 2007 at 03:22 AM
My daffodils are up about 2 inches, just green leaves, but way to early for them to coming up.

#87155 January 17th, 2007 at 06:25 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Same as everyone else my crocuses and daffodils are up. And the lettuce from last year is still growing. I wish they were types that I liked the taste of better.

#87156 January 29th, 2007 at 06:20 AM
I have some information on tulips, daffodils and lilies I can share which might be useful for zones 2-6, maybe zone 7, not sure.

Daffs & Tulips -- foliage only, without flower stems coming up: Temperatures down to 20° are fine. Between 17-20 is generally okay, but below that is bad news. If you get these low temperatures, be sure to watch for black foliage indicating fire and scortch. Remove leaves and discard. The leaves are full of spores, o get these removed before rains comeand spread those spores. The leaves will continue growing albeit with ragged edges.

If they have flower stems, which usually happens later in the season, the flowers and stems can usually go down to about 25. You will see them laying down when you leave for work, but if you come home for lunch and the day is sunny, they will be back up. I have seen the same plants do this maybe a total of 5 or 6 times. If you picked theflowers for a vase, you could tell they weren't intiptop shape, but as a landscape plant you can't even tell!

Under 25° and the stem could collapse. If this happens, it looks like frozen lettuce from the fridge. Your flowers are gone and done with until next year. Remove them before they fall prey to fungus-stuff.

If they are up 4" or less, it's easy to try to cover them with leaves or something.

LILIES are totally and 100% different. The flowers for the entire year are at the terminal tip of the stem. If they get frozen or even frosted, they are done for the year. It is very important, therefore, to keep putting leaves, dry leaves over and on top of them. If they are over about 8-9", you'll have to snug the leaves around them for support, sort of making columns, then put more over the top so you don't bend them, and break them.

Trumpet lilies are the most susceptible to frost, and Martagons can maybe take a couple of degrees of frost. It is so hard to tell because most people don't have multiple outside thermometers to check exactly how cold it got. Martagons often grow in the woods, on the woods' edge and are more protected. The woodland soil, too, probably could hold a degree of heat more than the exposed soil in a sunny bed. Trumpets must have full sun, or nearly, so they are usually more exposed. Does this mean they are more frost susceptible? Or is it that they grow in generally more exposed conditions? Not sure, but Liles are only beautiful when they have blooms or buds, so it's essential to get them covered!

Link Copied to Clipboard