This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86794 March 5th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
S
Shawn M Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone,

It has been a very mild winter this year, with temps in the 50s and lows in the 40s and upper 30s for the past couple of weeks.

Needless to say, I got a bit ahead of myself and planted some lettuce and green onions 4 days ago in some containers. It rained the past couple of days (still pretty warm), but this morning it got cold and we had snow flurries all day. It is supposed to be down to the teens and low 20s for a few days.

I covered everything with clear plastic today and was wondering if I'll be okay? Everyone is saying this will be our last cold snap and spring will finally be here (next week).

Thanks!

Shawn

#86795 March 5th, 2007 at 03:27 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It should..
Both the onions and lettuce like it cooler..
So those were the ones to plant early..

And as long as you covered them, they should be fine..

The one problem I might think of is if whatever you covered them with, is exactly touching the plant..
*(that's when it will get frosted, when touching the covering, if there's a space between the plant and covering, there's a buffering zone in between... )*

and as long as the cold temps' don't last tooo long..

Will you keep gab us posted luv updates crit ..

#86796 March 5th, 2007 at 03:32 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I planted my cabbage and lettuce on the 4th of Feb and it has been frosted on with no ill effects (I didn't cover it). I always put my tomatoes in the second week of March and just cover them with flower pots if frost is expected and they always do great. Since onions and lettuce are both cool crops and you covered them, I think you should be fine.

#86797 March 8th, 2007 at 12:11 AM
S
Shawn M Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the advice. I don't know what happened to the weather here. It snowed yesterday (only a couple inches) and it looks like the cold weather will stick around through the weekend.

I should have known better, the weather doesn't get predictable until April. i just couldn't wait to get started.

Thanks again,

Shawn

#86798 March 8th, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
ohhhhh, we alllll get that spring fever..

I even got bit last year, and usually I can
hold out, but our temps were soooooooo warm 70's, soooooo early and I broke down and started seeds in my greenhouse *unheated* outside and
just as soon as I got half the greenhouse filled,
whammmmmmmm, snow and cold and freezing temps,
killed just about everything...

But, hold tight..
I think the one's you planted should do okay..
Those one's like it cooler so, you might still get them growing good, soooooooon!

#86799 March 8th, 2007 at 09:04 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I'm betting they make it too, Weezie. Especially if he still had them covered.

Link Copied to Clipboard