This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86772 February 28th, 2007 at 06:07 AM
shrcoh Offline OP
OP Offline
I planted a small Jade cutting, which was doing very well and growing quite a few new leaf sets. Now however, it seems to have gotten very top heavy and is leaning over. All the leaves look healthy and the stem has gotten somewhat thicker than when it started but it isn't strong enough to support the new leaves. Should I try to stake it so that it stays upright?

Also I see that you can encourage branching on a Jade plant by "pinching" but what exactly does that mean? How do you pinch a plant?

thanks for the advice

#86773 February 28th, 2007 at 12:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pinching is cutting the top off. you can plant the top and have 2 plants in this case, but not always.

the reason it is called pinching or pinching back is because most of the time, the tip portion you would cut off is tender enough to just pinch it off with your fingers.

#86774 February 28th, 2007 at 02:17 PM
Good response, Jiffy!

I'd just like to add, that if you are going to cut the top off, and would like to make a new plant from it, allow the cut end to dry out and callous over before inserting into soil. You will be much more successful at your attempt in rooting the new piece, than if you set the still moist tip into soil.

Good luck!

#86775 February 28th, 2007 at 03:55 PM
M
M
As for theoriginal plant, it's probably not getting enough sun, or maybe too much water. Jades like sun to be vigerous, upright growers, and let it get dry between waterings. It'll branch all on its own as it gets older and larger. You can stake it up if you want, just make sure it gets a lot of sun or it'll be a floppy, hanging jade. Some people like them like that, so it's up to you what structure you want from your plant.

#86776 March 23rd, 2007 at 05:00 AM
Just wanted to add that if you are giving the plant too much water, its roots will not grow deep enough to support the plant. When you hold water from the plant, it forces it to grow it's roots deeper to look for more water. You should only be watering the plant when the leaves get a little wilted. If you over water the plant continuously, it could develop rot. Right now, my Jade is only requiring water once a month! As spring goes by, it will need more because it will grow in the spring and summer months.

Link Copied to Clipboard