This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86762 January 22nd, 2007 at 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi everyone, wavey
I posted this up in trees and shrubs... then I found the mystery section... Help witll be much appreciated.

I have an evergreen shrub in my yard that I call the lily pad evergreen. I want to know what it is really called. Here is a picture of it. Mind you I groom it in the spring - so it's looking a little rough
[Linked Image]
Thanks for your help.

#86763 January 22nd, 2007 at 08:24 PM
O
O
Could you get a closer shot of the foliage? It's hard to say, although, if I had to guess, I'd say some sort of juniper. The "lily pads" as you call them are not the natural form of the plant, but are produced by a method of pruning called "cloud pruning".

#86764 January 23rd, 2007 at 12:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh wise obywan wink
Thank you for your reply. I've been tending to this evergreen since we moved in 16 years ago. I am not a gardener by any stretch - that was mom's private heaven. But, this evergreen has always been mine.

I had no idea it didn't grow this way. Just after we moved, a dear friend, Ms. Barrett visitied here. He went nutty for the lily pad shrub - She told me then to always take good care of it - I do what she says.) She definetely knew the name of this thing. It's just over the years I forgot it and mom's not here to remind me.

Anyway - I'll wait until spring and it's all spruced up and take more pictures.

I is there a common name or general name - will liy pad shrub do? Or ist there a better name for this type of shrub?

#86765 January 23rd, 2007 at 03:45 PM
A
A
Thuja species also known as arborvitae are the most common shrubs that get cloud pruned. From the photo, it looks like it may be a thuja.

#86766 January 23rd, 2007 at 04:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks alan...
I'm happy to know it's called "cloud" pruned. That's actually mostly what I was after... I keep things simple

You know thuja could be the name she told me years ago. It was short and sing songy name.

Thanks a lot. Now, I can speak of my cloud pruned evergreen grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard