This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86454 March 21st, 2007 at 11:30 PM
W
wingnut Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hey All,
I'm new to this gardening thing. I started my plot last weekend and just want to get things started off on the right foot. I live in the Sacramento Valley.
I put the plot in a old horse pasture and added
2 truck loads of dairy manure. (the plot is about 50ft x 100ft) I disc'd the plot real well before
adding the manure then went over it again several times with the disc. I have some golf ball to baseball size clumps So I assume I need to till?
(gota barrow one)
Also I'm guessing that the rows should run east west? with the taller plants on the south end?
Besides the manure what else (if anything)should
I do to prep the soil? I want to grow pretty much everything corn, tom, pep, qu's, strawb, mellon,
let, Rad, and ?
Oh ya 1 more thing seeds or starter plants?
sorry for being so long winded

wingnut

#86455 March 22nd, 2007 at 12:44 AM
I would put taller plants on the North end, so they don't block sunlight for your other plants. Is the manure fresh or aged? If it is fresh, it may burn anything you plant in there. I think that fresh manure is supposed to sit for 6 weeks or so to "mellow" it out. A soil test ($2.50 at walmart) will tell you what, if anything, you may need to add to the soil.

Personally, I am *trying* to grow everything from seed this year. However, you may not want to overburden yourself and burn out. seeds are much cheaper though.

I also would recommend mulching your garden. This helps keep in moisture and helps prevent some fungus/bacterial problems.

Finally, I envy your space! I'd love to have that much room. Congrats on the new garden and keep us updated!

Link Copied to Clipboard