This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86187 February 23rd, 2007 at 10:51 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This plant is new to me. It so beautiful. The flowers are huge. I purchased it this past August. It was about two feet tall and the trunk is about 3/4 to 1" in diameter. I kept it in full sun and kept the soil moist. It did great and had several flowers. I pruned it back to about 8" tall in mid December when it stopped blooming and started looking poorly. It has not shown any sign of life to date. I have it in a five gallon pot in full sun, and soak it about once every couple of weeks. Am I watering it too much? Or is it too soon to see new growth? I also wondered if I pruned it too soon. Thanks for any advice or tips. Here are some pics.....

Rose Mallow 1

Rose Mallow 2

Rose Mallow 3

#86188 February 24th, 2007 at 12:13 AM
Linny, those are the perennial Hibiscus (also known as rose Mallow). smile I live in zone 5, so I prune mine to within about 5-6" from the ground in the fall because mine are planted in the ground. wink I love the Hibiscus Duh but mine don't bloom on the old growth, they send up new shoots in late spring/ early summer. wink Once the new growth starts coming up, they grow very fast. thumbup smile

#86189 February 24th, 2007 at 12:39 AM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey patches.

Before I get into the plant issue, I just wanted to tell you that the first horse I had as a child we named Patches. She was a beautiful Buckskin mare. I loved that horse. Anyway....

I'm glad that you told me about the new shoots. The old trunk and exising limbs are so dry and crisp that I thought I had killed it. From what you describe, I am probably looking for new growth too soon. If you get new shoots in summer there, then I should probably expect new shoots here in spring maybe? Do you think I should water it through out the dormant time or not?

#86190 February 24th, 2007 at 12:46 AM
Linny, on mine nothing grows on the old growth and probably won't on yours either, frown but I'm sure you'll see something popping up pretty soon! wink You haven't killed it!!! laugh laugh I wouldn't let the soil dry out! frown

#86191 February 24th, 2007 at 12:58 AM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh yeah... I meant to say thank you patches, and ask this question....

Is this a plant that should be in the ground? Please post pictures of yours when you can.

#86192 February 24th, 2007 at 01:05 AM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, patches. I will do better on the watering. Thanks for the support that I have not killed it!

#86193 February 24th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
Linny, since these Hibiscus get bigger and bigger each year, I think it will eventually outgrow the container. frown

Regarding, the watering I don't think I correctly stated what I meant to say. confused I didn't mean you had to keep the soil constantly wet because I don't water mine in the winter, but it does get the benefit of moisture when it rains, or the snow and ice melt. wink

My red Hibiscus was my first perennial Hibiscus and it sure looked very dead and lifeless in the spring, so I was sure I had killed mine too, eek until some time later when I saw the little green sprouts peeking out of the ground. thumbup

Linny, here is a picture of my 'Kooper King'. I'll see if can find some pictures of my 'Lady Baltimore' and and 'Blue River II' and scan them.

[Linked Image]

#86194 February 24th, 2007 at 02:38 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh my gosh! This is absolutely beautiful. That flower is huge. Mine is small by comparison. I must have one of these Kopper Kings. Thanks again for the advice and the pics. Send more if you can.

#86195 February 24th, 2007 at 07:01 PM
H
H
rose Mallow is probably the last plant to show spring growth. Mine doesn't show growth till early June. By the end of June it's 4 feet tall, at which time I cut back about a third of the growth, makes for a fuller plant.

Now is a good time to transplant the entire soil ball of the mallow into the ground in a sunny spot. Keep the top of the soil ball at or just above ground level. Add compost to the planting hole. Add a 2" layer of mulch. If the mallow is kept potted it has to been moved to larger pots as needed.

Keep the plant moist, not soggy, thru the growing season. When the plant starts producing leaves start a fertilizing program. As I recall you have sandy soil so this would be an important step for you. For the resting season cut back on water but never let the soil dry out.

#86196 February 24th, 2007 at 08:38 PM
Thanks, Linny! Duh My Hibiscus are usually full enough but I would love to keep them a a little shorter. When the flowers get so big and there are so many buds I always have to stake and tie some of the stems because they have a tendency to droop over. frown Thanks so much for the tip!!! kissies

#86197 February 25th, 2007 at 01:18 AM
H
H
-Patches-
I discovered the 'cut back' tip in a garden book called "Perennials for Michigan" published by Lone Pine Publishing. There is a series of books for Illinois. If gardeners purchase only a few books they should be from this series. Beautiful color plates, solid local info and concise background info. Visit the website at: www.lonepinepublishing.com

In MI, rose Mallow gets tall and rangy as flowers come on - a clipping gives the plant time to fill out. I clip some of the inner leaves for shape.

#86198 February 25th, 2007 at 01:41 AM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
herbalyn, thanks so much for the advice. I will follow it. Actually I was thinking of printing your response and taping it to the plant! Mine is going into the ground tomorrow. Yes, sandy soil here, so I will be sure to fertilize. As well as compost and mulch as you suggest. I was thinking that I would dig the hole deeper and wider than it needed to be and put potting soil in as well to make up for the sandy soil. What do you think?

Patches - man, I love your pics. The Lady Baltimore is so pretty. Both the foliage and flower are beautiful. I must have one of those as well. I'm still knocked out by that Kopper King though. My husband, by now, is hoping I will stop visiting this site as he can see the $ signs fly by, and knows that he will have to help me find the "perfect" place to plant them. He has planted, dug up and replanted more than one as I change my mind. God bless him. He's a saint! I can't help it. I must have my plants. They are vital to my existence! Thanks again guys for all your help.

#86199 February 25th, 2007 at 01:42 AM
Thanks a bunch kissies for the information because I've never heard of them before! Boy, they really do have some great books! thumbup I found the Perennials for Illinois one and they also have one for Illinois birds. smile Geesh, how many days left until Christmas! laugh laugh laugh

#86200 February 25th, 2007 at 01:44 AM
Originally posted by patches1414:
Thanks a bunch kissies for the information because I've never heard of them before! Boy, they really do have some great books! thumbup I found the Perennials for Illinois one and they also have one for Illinois birds, plus a few other interesting one. smile Geesh, how many days left until Christmas! laugh laugh laugh

#86201 February 25th, 2007 at 01:46 AM
OOPS!!! frown shocked frown shocked frown shocked

#86202 March 19th, 2007 at 09:26 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
New shoots coming up on my rose Mallow! About seven of them. I am sooo excited.

#86203 March 19th, 2007 at 10:03 PM
Linny, that's great! Duh

#86204 March 19th, 2007 at 11:20 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Patches, I only have one color. All the shoots are coming up from the one and only plant I have. Here is a pic of the flower last year.

Rose Mallow

What other colors are there? It does seem to be growing fast. From the first day I noticed the little nubs last week, I have two to three inch sprouts today!

I love your signature line by the way. May I add my amen to that as well. Thank you patches.

Linda

#86205 March 20th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
S
S
Originally posted by patches1414:
Linny, those are the perennial Hibiscus (also known as rose Mallow).

wow! i didnt know hardy hibicus were also called rose mallow!
i got rose hibiscus from the spring seeds swap !
and hardy pink hibiscus seeds from a lady at work!
both your hibiscuses look great!
i herd they dont flower the first year from seed,?

#86206 March 20th, 2007 at 05:13 AM
What other colors are there?
Linny, most of the hardy Hibiscus I've seen were red, white, and various shades of pink, but there is a new one called "Dreamcatcher" which is a jewel to behold! Duh

i herd they dont flower the first year from seed,?
Sibyl, I would certainly have to disagree with that frown because three years ago I started four Blue River II Hibiscus seeds in the fall and by summer I had one plant with two blooms on it and two plants with two blooms each. One of the seeds did not sprout! ters It was awesome experience, since I usually don't grow many things by seeds, except veggies, but I'm learning a little more about seeds and I'm going to try to grow more flowers with seeds this year.

#86207 March 20th, 2007 at 10:39 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
patches, sadly, like someone else I remember reading here about (!) I threw the tag away. It does seem like I remember it having a name.

I say tear that patio out and let em stand! Thanks for your help.

#86208 March 20th, 2007 at 11:09 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Sibyl, you know what? I did not know that either! This is a great site, and thank you.

#86209 March 21st, 2007 at 03:54 AM
S
S
laugh i only knew there was a tropical hibiscus and hardy hibiscus laugh im going with the hardy cause of my zone. this is the first year growing hibiscus for me!
clp patti! woohoo! hope the seedlings do well for me and i get blooms this year!

#86210 March 21st, 2007 at 08:39 PM
Sibyl, I only do the hardy Hibiscus because I'm in the same zone as you. wink Actually, I don't have enough light to bring the tropical ones inside to keep them over the winter. frown

Link Copied to Clipboard