This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8612 November 11th, 2002 at 07:34 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I just dont know what to do with this plant(FICUS ELASTICA ROBUSTA). I have had this plant for about 2 years. It is very special to me because I received it for my fathers funeral. All the original leaves have fell off. It is about 2 feet high but is not growing any new leaves at the bottom half of the plant. All I have is about 1 and 1/2 feet of stem. The top half is doing fine with new leaves coming often. I am concerned that it will become to top heavy. It is in a medium size pot. I am not repotting because I have read that they like to be slightly root bound. It is in east morning sun, being watered properly, fertilized about once a month. Should I prune it down to where I want leaves to grow? What do I do? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks Sara
confused

#8613 November 11th, 2002 at 04:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Sara,

The important thing is the new growth you are getting on top, not the older leaves you are losing on the bottom. Your rubber plant is healthy and doing well.

You can leave it alone and watch it grow ever taller and more top heavy. Or you can prune back one or more of the stems to a height where you would like to see new growth. If you prune one stem at a time, it won't be so noticeable.

Link Copied to Clipboard