This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8591 September 26th, 2002 at 06:04 AM
L
Linda Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have a few mini carnation plants in pots on my deck outside. However, they are annuals, and I'd like to bring them inside for the winter so that next year, I will not have to start all over with small plants. It took all spring and summer for them to reach the point where they are large enough to flower well, and I'd really like to winter them over if possible. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Do I keep them in an unheated garage, or indoors under grow lights? I know I can take cuttings of them, but carnations grow so slowly that I don't know if they will be big by spring. Plus, I've never had much luck with cuttings. And I'm not sure fall is the best time to take them anyway. Thanks....

#8592 October 6th, 2002 at 07:32 PM
N
N
Hi Linda,

I wouldn't suggest you keep them in the garage for the winter as they might freeze. I would bring them in the house for the winter in a sunny window and keep deadheading. Do this before you turn on the heat so they will have time to adjust to the indoor climate.

Good luck,
Newt

Link Copied to Clipboard