This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85859 February 26th, 2007 at 07:43 PM
OP Offline
I've got my garden all tilled up and recently covered it with black plastic. It's not the very thick, shiny black plastic, but thin. It's water proof, too.
When I tilled up the bed, I did hit an ant bed but I thought they'd move on after the plastic went on...well they havent't! They're happy as can be and flourishing under it! Should I just leave them be and hope they'll move along or do I need to go ahead and put down some poison? And what kind of insecticide do you put down? Will the ants actually ruin my veggie garden? I don't plan on planting for another three weeks.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
JoAnn

#85860 February 28th, 2007 at 02:54 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Agnus--I see you are in Texas. Good chance you have the same problem I do--fire ants. I hate those little beggars and they do ruin growing things. I've even had them kill young trees I've tried to get started on my place mad A friend of mine who owns a nursery recommended a type of poison that doesn't harm your plants and since you don't have any food items growing in your garden yet, it should be safe to use. It's:

Surrender Brand Fire Ant Killer
75% acephate
1 lb. can that treats up to 108 mounds

It only takes a teaspoon applied to the center of the mound early in the morning when they are beginning to get active. It has worked real well for me. I use it in my flowerbeds too and it doesn't kill the flowers. The biggest drawback to it is that it smells awful shk

#85861 March 3rd, 2007 at 06:17 AM
OP Offline
Thanks MLN!
I'll be on the lookout for that poison!

#85862 March 18th, 2007 at 03:42 PM
P
P
Here's another source:

Do-it-Yourself Pest Control Products for the Homeowner

http://www.diypesticides.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard