This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85794 February 28th, 2007 at 01:32 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Back in January, I talked about starting a sweet potato vine, didn't know how it would go, but it seems to be working out.
The potato had been in our tap(well) water, about 1-1/4 deep in a peanut butter jar, from early January until about mid February, then the leaves were to big for that jar, so it was moved to a wider/shallower glass that is bottom heavy.
Have just been adding water as needed.
If you have tips or suggestions, please speak up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#85795 February 28th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
WOW - that looks very healthy - good job!

What I'd suggest, is to cut off the potato about an inch or so above where the plant is growing, and allow the cut part to callous over (dry out) while keeping the roots in the water. I'd then plant it up in soil.

If you allow the upper portion that has been cut off to also callous over, you'll probably be able to grow a plant from that too.

I grew plants from 1 potato that I first cut into 3rds - all three pieces gave me a nice vine for that summer.

#85796 February 28th, 2007 at 02:31 PM
I agree with Lynne....it looks nice and healthy....good luck with it and thanks for the update!!!

#85797 February 28th, 2007 at 03:09 PM
W
OP Offline
W
From the farmer who started me on this; let the vines grow, when there are off shoots from the main vine, and when they have more than three nodes on them, clip that short vine off, and put the cut end in water, that will give a new plant.

One healthy main vine can give more than 10 plantable vines, I'm hoping for 30-40 garden plantable vines from this one potato.

When I have more of my own the next time around, I'll try the cut method side-by-side with this method and see how they differ.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Link Copied to Clipboard