This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85775 March 15th, 2007 at 07:24 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I couldn't resist. I just had to transplant those garlic babies I planted last year from seed. They were all squished together and after reading that they need a foot each I just had to. Anyway I was dying to know what they looked like after one winter in the ground. They look like little squished onions lol. But they have plenty of space now and I added a bunch of my compost to the soil so they shouldn't be so squished.

#85776 March 15th, 2007 at 10:14 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
I sure am glad someone else is putting stuff in their garden already! I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger laugh My cabbage and lettuce are growing like weeds (been in since first week of Feb) and I started putting tomatoes in today. Didn't have time to finish but hope to get the rest in the next few days. I see you put one of your tomatoes in--hope it does good for you.

#85777 March 16th, 2007 at 12:02 AM
I just about have mine filled up, I am going to add another 10' on to it.

#85778 March 16th, 2007 at 09:58 AM
M
MLN Offline
M
Are our gardens ever big enough for us laugh Duh Mine is already quite large and I don't have room to expand it. Soooo, I'm eying my orchard. When we get the money to fence the whole thing in, I'm gonna run things like strawberries and maybe asparagus down the rows between the fruit trees.

#85779 March 16th, 2007 at 11:27 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it dropped from 75 yesterday afternoon to 37 last night. I'm sure the tomato plant is very dead. I have no idea if the transplants will survive or not. I'm ready for spring now. Not that I don't appreciate the rain. But I wish it could come with warmer temperatures.

#85780 March 17th, 2007 at 10:27 AM
M
MLN Offline
M
shk Thirty-seven! That's too cold. But we got down cold enough last night for a light frost and we had been up to 80. I've actually had tomatoes survive temps that cold (37) as long as there wasn't any frost. Too bad you couldn't have gotten it covered with a pot. Do you know that if you don't get something covered and it gets frost on it, if you get out before the sun hits it and hose the frost off, it will not be affected? I've done that with my fruit trees many times.

#85781 March 18th, 2007 at 09:39 PM
I'ce hear dof farmers who spray a fine mist over their strawberry plants all nite long so frost won't hit it

#85782 March 20th, 2007 at 12:42 PM
Where I am in the UK we had 90 on my south facing patio last week (not bad for zone 8, OK I admit a lot cooler in the shade) but 3 days ago it started. We have had literally no snow all winter but the wind changed to the North. ters Suddenly we are at 30 overnight and about 42 in the day, and that is in the sun. Fortunately the snow is only coming in flurries and not staying, and I know enough about Brit weather not to plant anything out until at least May. Still I was putting pots of exotics out during the day and bringing them in before dark. They just have to get used to being house plants again. laugh But my mulching materials are working overtime with existing stuff that I inherited when I bought the house.

Link Copied to Clipboard