This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85729 March 15th, 2007 at 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yesterday, while i was waiting on dinner, i played in the yard some.

i noticed that the top two tiers of my pond are covered in string algae (although i removed a lot) but the bottom tier is completely clear!

[Linked Image]

and the weather has been so weird that i managed to over winter some water hiacynth and water lettuce thumbup

[Linked Image]

#85730 March 15th, 2007 at 01:50 AM
Jiffy, will fish eat string algae? The reason I asked was that I asked for some duckweed when I was in Sumter at the end of last summer (the manager said I really don't want any, but I convinced her I did) and my fish ate every bit of it. It was gone overnight. Maybe that is why there is none in the bottom... Duh

Are you feeding your fish yet? I am wondering when to start feeding Samson and Delilah...

#85731 March 15th, 2007 at 01:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i started feeding them this weekend when i noticed them eating my duckweed eek the whole bottom tier was covered in duckweed but it's been so hot they got hungry....

if it comes back like it did last year, i'll get some to you. ditto the other plants. scott and i are supposed to start riding on the weekends thumbup

#85732 March 15th, 2007 at 02:02 AM
I sure hope you and Scott ride up this way, Jiffy! Jim and I will be looking forward to it!

#85733 March 15th, 2007 at 02:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm hoping in april we can... i'll keep you posted!

#85734 March 18th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
Hi Jiffy,
We have a 6000 gallon pond and string algae is a big problem. I understand the fish eat it but not fast enough. We are going to try to controle it this year by adding other types of aquatic life. I would love to find a solution to it. We are constantly scooping and rakeing the waterfall.

What do you ride?

Serenity

#85735 March 18th, 2007 at 10:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
aquatic life and floating plants are your best protection.

and i ride a yamaha vstar 650. hubby rides a kawazaki zrx 1200.

#85736 March 19th, 2007 at 08:00 PM
Hi Jiffy
Hope you have a good rideing season. My husband has a passion for motorcycles and long trips with them.
Do you know which type of aquatic life does the best job on string algae. I am not sure if I just need more fish or different types of fish.
We have Shabunkin.
The plants are lilys and water hyacinth.
Thanks for the welcome the other day. I can't beleive I stumbled upon this site. What a find.

Serenity

#85737 March 20th, 2007 at 02:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i really don't know what kind of aquatic life. i have snails and "feeder" gold fish. but i do have duck weed and water lettuce as well as water hiacynth. and i have a couple of other plants in the bottom that aren't up for the season yet.

#85738 March 21st, 2007 at 02:18 PM
I will have to check into duckweed and water lettuce. Feeder goldfish are new to me. I have heard that you can put proclostimus in but they have to come in the house in the winter here. We have had water hiacynth but we have corralled it in a hoop so that it does not float into the pump house. We have never had a bloom with those so I think we may try some new things this year. Have you ever put in iris or papyrus. I had a pot of papyrus standing in the waterfall last year. I love the shape of it.

Serenity

Link Copied to Clipboard