This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85414 March 19th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
Kratz7 Offline OP
OP Offline
Could I use Thumbelina Zinnias in hanging baskets?
I have an area to put four hanging baskets of flowers on my upper deck and about 2 planters and 4 hanging baskets on my lower decking (around our hot tub)this area is more private space when the gate is closed....
Does anyone have any ideas?
I have tried ivy geraniums, fuschia,and wave petunias, frown I seriously need a flowering plant/flower that lasts and doesn't have issues with droppings. I don't want a plant that will drop debris all over my decking.

Any ideas would certainly be helpful.

This would be a full sun area.....pretty much..... smile

I was thinking the Thumbelina zinnia..... bit are there any semi-short, low debris plants out there?

I would like a lot of color in the baskets.... smile

Thanks in advance,

Kratz7

#85415 March 19th, 2007 at 03:01 PM
inpatiens

pentas they will stay in bloom if keep the seed heads spent,you can see the next one forming.

moss rose
Nasturium

#85416 March 19th, 2007 at 05:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
What about roses? Some kind of thornless variety maybe a ground cover type?

#85417 March 20th, 2007 at 08:23 PM
If you use Zinnias, use the Profusion types. They are less "single flower-ish" for a lack of a better way to phrase it and make more of a mound which would probably cascade, at least a little. I don't think Thumberlina would give you the effect you're looking for unless you use just one in the middle or something.

Those Wave-style (including Tidal Wave) Petunias are excellent, especially if you can bring yourself to pinch them every so often. They do well when they don't get watered daily which I think is a plus.

Look for Bidens or dahlberg daisy or quick, get some signet marigolds and start them from seed -- they come in orange, yellow or burnt-red and will cascade over the edges. They do not look like, nor smell like regular marogolds....the foliage it feathery and the habit is lax. They look good peeking out between somehting else if yellow-orange-red fits your color scheme.

I have some other weirder stuff I'm trying for the 1st time this year, but I honestly can't recommend anything yet: Cuphea (2 kinds) and a bachelor buttons repens which will peter out in the hot weather, but should make an attractive pot, if not hanging basket.

I have also heard but not tried some of the vines.

I think Njoynit said Nasturtiums above, and they are always wonderful, especially in a pot where you can control the amout of fertilizer (none) they get. They get really big, but there is a miniature one you can buy seeds of called Princess of India, I think it is a red like Empress of India, just smaller, and also one that is really easy to find of mixed colors called Jewel Mix.

I don'd have places to hang a lot of baskets and stuff, but I do have space for pots and containers -- both big and small, so I have a lot of things planned for those pots. Right now I have about 50 jugs of flowers that have germinated, but they only have seeds leaves, so I am a ways away!

#85418 March 21st, 2007 at 12:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's my hanging basket I did last year..
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/100_2260PotatoVineLantanaBegonia.jpg?[/img]

It's got Sweet potato Vine, Lantana, and Begonia.. flw flw flw

#85419 March 22nd, 2007 at 01:23 AM
That was a cutie.......
Whatcha doing in one this year?

flw

#85420 March 22nd, 2007 at 02:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I usually have about 10 hanging baskets each year....some I put wandering jew in....some I put portulacas in! LOVE portulacas for bright color and heat tolerance. thumbup

Cute basket Weezie.

#85421 March 22nd, 2007 at 02:19 AM
Reminds me Loz .....
I havent had those for quite a while.

Think I will ask for handouts.. Portulacas.

#85422 March 22nd, 2007 at 02:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mine reseed each year or I'd send you seeds. They pop up all over the place now!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#85423 March 22nd, 2007 at 02:40 AM
Loz

Oh how nice they grow for you .

I havent had them for a long time.
Save some this year..(HINT)

b

Link Copied to Clipboard