This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84960 March 22nd, 2007 at 07:52 PM
OP Offline
I am a new gardener and I really have no clue where to even start. I have been collecting information on what plants I want but am still not sure how to get started. I want to plant:
Asparagus
Carrots
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Peas
peppers
potatoes
Pumpkins
Tomatoes
Watermelons
Strawberries

I don't want a lot of each one just enough for a small family. Space is not a problem at all.
I was told that you have to plow for at least a year before planting, is that true? Am I too late to get started this year? Any advise would be a huge help. Thank you!

#84961 March 22nd, 2007 at 09:16 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Most of what you want to plant isn't too difficult to grow but some of it will take a little extra effort (like the asparagus--but it's worth it!). Here's a site that has some helpful info:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies

This site should help you narrow down to some specific questions about growing these veggies.

#84962 March 22nd, 2007 at 09:42 PM
Asparagus- A perrenial. Needs a deeply prepared soil, to about 2' deep with manures, compost and dolomite. Add an all purpose vegetable fertilizer and plant the crowns where they won't be disturbed, away from the annual vegie area.

Carrots- Deep, well prepared soil. No lumps in the soil and no manures. A band of all pupose fert about 6" below the surface gives them a boost.
Cucumbers- A cucurbit. They like lots of feeding. plant with other cucurbits in soil enriched with lots of organic matter..ie, aged manures and compost.
Lettuce- Not too hot. Some shade in the afternoon is good in Summer. Mulched soil and plenty of water with good drainage and regular liquid feeding.
Peas- Sweet soil. Add dolomite prior to planting. They don't like extremely hot weather.
peppers-A hot spot. The hotter the better.
potatoes- Excellent first crop for new gardens. They break up the soil well. No dolomite.
Pumpkins-As for cucumber.
Tomatoes-With the peppers. They like similar conditions.
Watermelons-As for cucumber.
Strawberries- Sorry. Can't seem to get the hang of these.

It's not too late. Go for it, give it a try and see how you go. Start preparing the soil now. Turn it over, add a general all purpose fertilizer and see if you can get some compost. Make a compost heap for use later. By the time you get your seeds and seedlings together it can be ready. If you can get a soil test done prior to all of this, it may save you lots of trial and error.

#84963 March 22nd, 2007 at 10:26 PM
E
E
I just work in last year's mulch and a new layer of manure every year and grow most of the crops you mentioned and they do well for me. I don't grow watermelons, pumpkins or strawberries. My asparagus bed is by itself. The rest is one big area. I've never done the indidual fertilizing and have always had one of the better gardens in the area. I guess it has worked for 40 plus years so just keep doing it. Jay

#84964 March 23rd, 2007 at 11:27 AM
J
J
Soil, soil, soil! Amend the soil. Pick up some bags of composted manure from the store and mix it into the soil where you want to plant. You can pick up transplants at many stores for the veggies you want to plant.

#84965 March 26th, 2007 at 12:34 AM
Remember your cucumbers & pumpkins will want shade from the hot afternoon summer sun.

I too just work in last years mulch and have had excellent luck doing so--but in addition I rotate where I place my plants. That also seems to help.
aspargus: keep it well mulched and weeded.
Good luck--

#84966 March 26th, 2007 at 03:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Welcome Aboard...
Glad you found us..

First off, wanted to let you know..
We'll be indexing this old forum here soon,
and archiving all the info..

but if you'd like to go to the new forum
and re~post your post *copy and paste, it's faster* and re~do it over there..

Click here to jump to new forum...

Holler if you need any help!

Link Copied to Clipboard