This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84881 January 3rd, 2007 at 02:08 AM
OP Offline
Hi there, I have another question about strawberries. I have an obnoxious weed, (I think chick weed, but have to verify it) and I can use roundup to kill it(the weeds). Question #1 Will it harm my plants, #2 Can I spray now? #3 Will it have any effect on my crop later this year? #4 Is there anything, else I could use if I can't use roundup on the strawb's Thanks-Hannah

#84882 January 3rd, 2007 at 08:34 PM
J
J
Originally posted by Hannah L---:
Question #1 Will it harm my plants
Yes. Glyphosate(roundup) will kill all actively growing plants.

#2 Can I spray now?
No.

#3 Will it have any effect on my crop later this year?
See answer 2...

#4 Is there anything, else I could use if I can't use roundup on the strawb's
Without getting too technical, most of today's broadleaf herbicides use a systemic mode of action. This means that the plant needs to be actively growing for good control. Even winter weeds are not actively growing enough over the winter to make the herbicide effective enough.

Come spring, If you can spray the roundup carefully enough to keep it off the strawberry plant's foliage, it should knock down your weed problem....assuming it is chickweed. You should positively ID your weed first. Another way of using herbicides is to apply it to the weed's foliage with a small paint brush. Of course, this may not be feasible if there is too much of it.

#84883 January 19th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
What about covering each strawberry plant with a plastic bag before you spray?

#84884 January 19th, 2007 at 03:08 PM
J
J
That'll work too. You just need to be real careful of the over-spray. Even one drop of the stuff is enough to kill. READ THE LABELS! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard