This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#84172 January 20th, 2007 at 11:07 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone! smile

I have a couple of flowers that needs identification. Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Hafizah287/FlowersII

The first one (the yellow flower) is a type of crawling plant. Its flowers are about 3 cm wide.

I just bought the second one today, but I'm not too sure what it is. It looks like African Violet, but is it? Duh I asked saler, and she said it's not African Violet. But similar to it, it is a house plant.

#84173 January 20th, 2007 at 02:23 PM
A
A
The yellow one could be Chrysogonum, aka Green and Gold. The other looks like it could be an Achimenes, but I'm not sure about either.

#84174 January 21st, 2007 at 03:51 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
Hm... Chrysogonum and the yellow flower in my picture appear almost similar. However, mine has 9 petals, and Chrysonogum has 5. Could they be of related species? Duh

#84175 January 21st, 2007 at 04:35 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
Could the purple flower be Gloxinia?

#84176 January 21st, 2007 at 04:37 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
I added 3 more photos of the purple flower to help identification. They're updated pictures of the flower.

#84177 January 21st, 2007 at 05:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The Purple one looks to me like Torenia *Wishbone flower's*

#84178 January 21st, 2007 at 05:25 AM
I think your yellow flower looks like my Creme Brulee Coreopsis. Duh
(I don't have a pic of mine.... this one is from Google Image Search ).

#84179 January 21st, 2007 at 05:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Her picture has dark stamens' like in the middle..
Your picture doesnt'.. Duh Duh Duh Duh

Also, another observation is the petals on the posted picture are one petal with a uniform end pattern..

Yours' are a conglomerate of petals, with assorted jagged edges like.... Duh Duh Duh Duh

#84180 January 21st, 2007 at 06:35 AM
my guess with the first one is tickseed coreopsis, just my first thought anyway...

#84181 January 21st, 2007 at 07:14 AM
Her picture has dark stamens' like in the middle..
Your picture doesnt'
I'm chalking that up to lighting... or the possibility of different stages in blossom maturity, respective to the 2 pics. (The stamens don't take on that dark color until the pollen sort of powders up.)

the petals on the posted picture are one petal with a uniform end pattern..
Yours' are a conglomerate of petals, with assorted jagged edges
I guess you'd have to see this flower in person.... it doesn't have a "conglomerate of petals", but rather 9 distinctly separate petals, each having ridge-like wrinkles extending all the way to the ends. I'm blaming the illusion of more petals & "jagged edges" on either lighting differences, camera angles, or the simple lack of depth perception that "flat" pics offer! (Wouldn't High Definition snapshots be great in a plant forum!)

I wish I had clear pics of my Creme Brulee's to offer up. Maybe a pic of her leaves would help. Duh (Although I recently posted photos of plants that appeared to have identical foliage, & they turned out to be totally different plants !) [Linked Image]

Anyway, that's my story & I'm sticking to it!
Unless someone comes up with something else! lala

#84182 January 21st, 2007 at 02:54 PM
I do think the purple one is gloxinia - it looks exactly like a pink one I once had.

I agree that the yellow one is a coreopsis - not sure which one though...

#84183 January 21st, 2007 at 03:20 PM
A
A
Now that you mention it, it looks like a coreopsis I have called Coreopsis Nana.

And now that I see the flowers, the other is definitely Gloxinia.

#84184 January 22nd, 2007 at 08:45 AM
Hi Nur...
Hi everyone...

i too think da purple flower is a gloxinia... but isnt Coreopsis an erect bush-like plant thatz abt some inches high..? dunno da height... but i know da yellow flower in Nur's album...dunno da name tho!..it definitely is not n erect plant...its a groundcover plant...spreads on da ground without growing any taller than just a few inches...thick..

BTW alan have u received my package..? Really hope u have!

Have a nice day everyone...

#84185 January 22nd, 2007 at 10:29 AM
Norhaini, the Coreopsis you might be thinking of is Calliopsis basalis (Goldenmane tickseed). That particular Coreopsis can get 2-3 feet tall, spread out just as wide, & has continuously blooming orange (or yellow) flowers throughout the growing season.
[Linked Image]

If memory serves me correctly, I sent you a package of these seeds when I sent you the California Poppy seeds last year, & this was the pic on the packet...
[Linked Image]

The Coreopsis family isn't the only one that can get confusing, because not only are some of them tall & some short, but the common names can get jumbled up together with the botanical names (& a lot of flowers even have nicknames that have no credibility at all) ...& if you start digging around & get into the terms that break down the genus, species & cultivars within the group, you're likely to go stark-raving mad, or simply give up & go back to being happy with the word "flower"! grinnnn

Now that I've completely worn myself out, I'm going to bed! [Linked Image]
Happy gardening!

#84186 January 22nd, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Question for Patty..
*and yes, I'm confused*

The picture you just posted on your last post..
Are you saying those are Coreopsis or Cosmos???

Cause those are Cosmos's....

#84187 January 22nd, 2007 at 04:34 PM
A
A
Yes! I got your package last week....I'm sorry but I forgot to let you know. Thank you! grinnnn

#84188 January 22nd, 2007 at 07:00 PM
First one sure looks like cosmos to me. Dunno on the 2nd.

#84189 January 22nd, 2007 at 08:19 PM
Originally posted by weezie13:
Question for Patty..
The picture you just posted on your last post..
Are you saying those are Coreopsis or Cosmos???

Cause those are Cosmos's....
Weezie Weezie! [Linked Image] We've touched on this before , shortly after I started hanging out here. (Actually, I was content with the term "flower" before it came up again!) laugh

I'm calling the orange ones "Coreopsis" because the plants & seeds are totally different from what I call Cosmos, which is what I call these....
[Linked Image]
(Just like the weather forecast can be different, depending on which channel you watch, the identity of these flowers seem to vary, depending on which book you look at! I've seen many plant profiles in books & on the Web that are in conflict about these... so, I know it's not just "me"!)

My "Cosmo" plants can get up to 5 feet tall, but they dont bush out, even 1 foot, like my "Coreopsis" does. (This pic shows several plants... while my "Coreopsis" spreads out this far from just one plant!) As I said ("before"), they don't have the same type of leaf, seed heads or seeds, although the texture (not the size) of the blossoms are the same. Also, the "Coreopsis" turns into "woody" sticks when it dies back, & the "Cosmo" stays flexible, if that counts for anything. Duh

I know I'm being stubborn about this, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, & I'll fall back on all that genus, species, cultivar & group stuff as my defense. (That's where I believe our problem is, here!)

I wish I had a pic of the 2 of them next to each other... I think I'll plant them side-by-side this year, so I can take one. (Might be interesting *& even more confusing* to see what happens when they cross-pollinate!) May I send you seeds from my 2 plants, Weezie, so you can see what I'm talking about "in person"? There are sooo many different characteristics between the two plants!
(Again, back to "genus, species, cultivar & group"!) Duh

Nur, it seems that your topic has been hijacked, & I appologize to you for my part in that! shocked

#84190 January 23rd, 2007 at 02:41 AM
Hi Patty...

what u sent last year was Californian Poppy seeds n some Gazania seeds... sadly outta all da seeds u sent only one Californian Poppy n 2 Gazanias survived... BTW how r da plants i sent... has da Spathoglottis flowered?

n m trying my best to nurture them to grow n to flower ...coz i hope to get some seeds when they do... m rather excited now s one of da Gazanias have produced 2 flower buds...but da poppy seems to b taking its time growing...its still rather small...just abt 6-7inches high...

Oohh yea flower names...like a lot other things in life...can b very confusing...different people from different places call da same flower different names...

alan, glad it reached u safely...

Have a nice day everyone!

#84191 January 23rd, 2007 at 05:41 AM
Norhaini, I'll PM you with my answer, because it makes it sort of hard to follow a thread when people go off the topic & start chit-chatting about other things... & I think we've already made a mess of Nur's topic! shocked

Again, sorry about the hijack, Nur. I'm hoping that we can still come up with a definite name for your yellow flower! Will you be planting that outside, or can you keep it indoors, in a hanging pot?

#84192 January 27th, 2007 at 02:52 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone! Hi Norhaini! smile

I'm so sorry that I took a while to reply to the postings. The problem is, I'm away from home and internet access is kinda hard to get around here (my uni campus), and plus that I've been rather busy since the start of the new semester. Thank you very much to all of you who have tried to help in identifying my flowers!

Yup, the purple one is definitely a Gloxinia. Hm.. One question about Gloxinia. Once the flowers bloom, how long do they last before they wilt? And I read that Gloxinias undergo occasional periods of dormancy. How many flowers does a Gloxinia produce before it goes into a dormant state?

About the yellow flower.. I think I've identified it (just a few minutes ago when I visited Emily's compost). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Wedelia trilobata.

#84193 January 27th, 2007 at 03:00 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
No problem, Patty S. I'm completely okay with the hijacking. smile laugh

#84194 January 27th, 2007 at 03:13 AM
Nur Offline OP
OP Offline
The yellow flower (Wedelia, for now) grows in the gardens around my campus. Yup, Norhaini, you're right, it is a groundcover plant.

#84195 February 1st, 2007 at 08:09 PM
I LOVE that Gloxinia! I have been looking around here for some and cannot find any! It is beautiful! flw

#84196 February 2nd, 2007 at 08:13 AM
Hi Nur... now i know itz name...itz growing wild not too far away from my house...n i used to have it in my garden long..LONG ago...when i was sooo much younger!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard