This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84142 February 22nd, 2007 at 11:28 PM
OP Offline
(I hope this is where I should be posting this thread)

Well, I tried again and again I failed. Miniature roses, oh how I love them ... if only they loved me.

First Round *ding-ding*: Two years ago I bought two baby Miniature rose bushes from Lowes and planted them on either side of the sidewalk. Well, I totally didn't know what I was doing so I just stuck them in the ground. Oops. First rain fall, they got a free diving lesson. The water was well over 2 inches above the top of each plant. They died.

Second Round *ding-ding*: Last year I brought home 3 or 4 of them. But when I got them Walmart had already neglected them and they were in Horrible shape. I mean BAD shape. Lengthy, straggly, not much foliage. My green thumb is pretty much black and I couldn't revive them. They died.

Third Round *ding-ding*: Last week I bought ONE Miniature rose bush. And I bought it early enough with it being in better health I thought maybe I'd have a chance. I thought wrong. It's die-ING. Perhaps it can be saved?

Now that I've become a serial killer of Miniature roses I thought I'd come to you guys to see if there's a way to save this one. Shortly after I brought it home all the roses dried out, even the blooms that were not yet opened. I thought that maybe it didn't have enough water. (gulp) I think I over watered it. *Hangs head in shame* Did I just cause root rot?

Here's what it looked like when I brought it home. (These were taken inside the house)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's what it looks like now. (Pics taken outside)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#84143 February 22nd, 2007 at 11:50 PM
OP Offline
Forgot to tell you....

Last couple of days here it's been sunny and warm. After realising that I probably over watered it I've been taking it out during the day and bringing it back in for the night. I was hoping the sun light would dry it's soil as well as help it hang onto life.

I'm planing on planting it outside but it's not warm enough yet. Our weather keeps going back and forth from cold to hot. Later on today I'm going to replace all the soil with Miracle Grow soil. Also wanted to ask: Two years ago I also bought rose food, "Miracle-Gro rose Slow Release plant Food". I still have basically a completely filled bottle. Is the rose food still good? What made all roses dry out before any of the black appeared and before I over watered it? It was like I was growing a plant that produced paper roses - lol. So, is there anything I can do or is it too late?

#84144 February 23rd, 2007 at 01:58 AM
wavey If your going to put them outside again I would add bonemeal to the soil and admend it in before planting ,, My experience with miracle Grow soil has not always been favorable because of all the fertilizer in it , as it can 'burn' new plants and I think turn leaves black as well as over watering, I sure some one will come along and give better advice cuz I'm not experienced in Minature roses. When I purchase a new plant I set it where it will be planted in ground for a couple of days while I prepare the soil( admend) and then I plant it.. the only thing I may water into it with is superthrive ( diluted) , BUt bonemeal has always been Key with my experience

Here are a couple of sites that may help you!!

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/indoor_plants/MiniRosesforIndoors.cfm

http://www.yardener.com/ProblemsofMiniatureRose.html
I hope I have helped in some way Duh wink
Good Luck and I admire your determination thumbup flw

#84145 February 23rd, 2007 at 05:18 AM
OP Offline
Hmmm.... I hope the Miracle Grow doesn't cause even more harm. I already replaced the soil with the Miracle Grow before I came back to see if there were any replies. I figured that would be better than the soil it came with from Walmart. I've also sniped off all the black tips. That way all the energy can go towards the health of the rest of the plant. Does that make any sense or am I just making things up?

I looked at the sites you offered. I didn't really see a problem that seemed to resemble mine. Other than maybe I got my Mini rose too hot by having the plant light too close. Though, I still think I may have over watered it also.

I've only been carrying the plant outside when it was warm. Which has been only the past two days. It won't stay out there till I know the weather settles it's mind. When it does come time to take it outside permanently, I'll be (hopefully) planting it in a raised flower bed I'll be making soon.

#84146 February 23rd, 2007 at 05:34 AM
The plant looks OK actually, it's just that the roses themselves died.
It might be simply that the flowers did their thing and should be trimmed off. Trim down to the first set of 5 leaves.
The plants can't live in the original pot of course, and I don't think the ground is right either.
I'd do larger pots myself.
If you give the plant Epsom salts, use only a teeny pinch. Half a pinch really.
Also, keep banana peels around the base of the plant.
The black spots-do you let the wet leaves in the sun? That can cause spots.
Good luck !

#84147 February 23rd, 2007 at 06:48 AM
L
L
Hi HyperFerret!

It seems to me that you also are "hyper watering" your rose. Furthermore, taking it out is not a good idea after receiving such amount of water. From the pics you posted I presume your rose is receiving a strong sun irradiation. Those buds seem to be scorched by effect of direct sun over those delicate stems. Water droplets act like little magnifier glasses when direct sun rays hits them! that's why it burns the leaves and stems.

I would proceed as recommended by Deborah L. above:
1) trim all the scorched stems back to the first set of 5 leaves.

But also suggest you
2) discard those dead buds.
3) cut hard one of the central stems to give some air around the foliage as it seem too bussy in the center of the plant
4) don't re-pot after until it needs space to grow.
5) never water your roses "splashing" all the water over the plant. better watering is achieved in little pots like yours, if you place the pot inside another bucket with water, enough to cover the level of the substrate, but never to touch the leaves. roses are particularly prone to mildew when the foliage is kept wet for long periods.

...and please...don't ever take your little rose outside, in the full sunlight, after watering!!

Keep the good work going! clp

Best wishes

Lalo

#84148 February 23rd, 2007 at 04:11 PM
OP Offline
I haven't watered the plant ever since I've been taking it outside. Last time I watered it was either last Monday or Tuesday, 02/19 or 02/20. After realising I over watered it, the following day I took it outside trying to dry the soil faster but never re-watered it. Yet, the soil is still very moist today.

I have never, at any time, got the leaves wet from watering it before. The roses are dieing when they are still buds. They're not even attempting to open. The dead roses/buds AND the black stems all started way before I started taking it outside.

I really wanted to plant this mini rose outside in my raised garden. Are you guys saying it won't survive if I do so? If so, well that's not good cuz I'll definitely kill it if I attempt to keep it inside. Also, when, if I can, plant it outside, am I still not able to get the leaves wet when I'm watering the garden???

#84149 February 24th, 2007 at 04:00 AM
Good tips, Lalo.
Hyper, that puts a different spin on things, that the flowers are dying while still only buds.
Peel open a bud-any insects? Fungus?
Do you keep it in a sunny window sometimes? It could be getting overheated. plants burn through glass.

#84150 March 1st, 2007 at 04:46 PM
L
L
Hi again Hyper! Hi Deb!,

How's your rose doing nowadays? there is a beetle (sort of goldenish in colour) which loves to eat rose buds out, nevertheless, it doesn't suck up the stem as it appears in your pics. Even more, the bud will keep looking healthy until the bud's almost all eaten up from the inside... you wouldn't notice the bug until you open it by suspect.

So, I insist, there is a excess of heat, being it through the window as Deb's mentioned or as I explained before.

If you are planning to plant the rose, make sure, there's no risk of frost in your location. Before transplanting, remove all damaged stems, leaves, dead flower heads and dead buds. Place the pot inside a bucket as I recommended you. Leave to soak for a while (1 hour?).

Meanwhile, dig a 25-35 cms diam planting hole. Calculate depth by the height of the pot where the plant is now. If you don't have good garden soil, add some planting soil mix or organic compost to the hole...let's say half-new-soil and half-the hole's own soil. Add some slow-release fertilizer if you prefer. Take the plant off the pot, by gently pulling it out of the pot from the central stems. Remember, not to pull very strong as you can damage the root ball. Instead, turn the pot horizontal, tap over the bottom, or gently "squeeze" the pot if is one of those soft plastic ones, in order to loose the soil from the inside surface of the pot.
Now, place the plant well centered inside the hole you digged. Re-fill it with the mixed soil you've already prepared.

Try to keep the "bud union" (where the main stems were grafted to the rootstock, not the rose bud!) about half-an-inch below the actual grown level. Rake the soil around the rose, do not over compact. Rather, water, then top up again until the soil accomodates inside the hole to level with the ground.

Now. What about watering once it is planted outside. roses do stand full sunlight. actually they prefer a well-iluminated areas than shadowed ones. But watering must be done after the sun is down or well before sunrise. I used to have a rose garden in my previuos home, and I preferred to water after 5 pm or even during the night. A thorough watering. Then it won't matter if the foliage gets soaked. It will have time to dry before the sun is up!

You can plan two waterings...one during the night or after you arrive in after work. and one very early in the morning without splashing the leaves. It is up to you and your working schedule anyway.

One last remark. rose buds and flowers will get any sort of damage if you insist watering over them...you know, there are some plants that need and like humid environments. roses don't.

OK, I guess it's been too much info for a short message! perpl he he he he!!!

Sincerely

teech

Lalo

#84151 March 1st, 2007 at 04:49 PM
L
L
ooops....I re read my post and noticed I wrote

<<...keep the bud union 1/2 inch below the "grown" level...>>

I meant GROUN LEVEL....SORRY FOR THAT!

LALO wavey

#84152 March 1st, 2007 at 04:51 PM
L
L
oOOOH MINE OOOH MINE...I DID IT AGAIN!!!

IT'S "GROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD..."

LOL

ters

ME AGAIN.
LALO

Link Copied to Clipboard