This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84076 September 26th, 2006 at 12:43 AM
P
OP Offline
P
We discontinued spring Green this season and fertilized the lawn ourselves. Despite following the recommended schedule we got some crab grass and clover. We took care of the crab grass with a combination of spraying and hand pulling but that did not work on the clover (which is a serious problem in my flower beds as well). Does any one have any suggestions? Duh

#84077 September 26th, 2006 at 02:55 AM
J
J
I've had good luck controlling clover with Ortho's weed-b-gon.

#84078 March 6th, 2007 at 01:50 AM
One thing I have done to control clover is seed the lawn with more grass seed and cut the lawn higher . Most people cut the lawn too low . A little clover is not a problem as it produces a lot of nitrogen for the grass . If it is a problem in the flowerbeds I just pull it and keep pulling it . Put in more mulch too it might help . I do not use synthetic chemicals anymore . Try boiling water and pour over the clover , when it is dead dig it up , add soil and compost. Reseed and water the patch so that the grass takes hold . That is what I do for crag grass and dandilions too . It is only unsightly a few days til the grass seed grows. As I mentioned before cutting the grass at a taller height does a good job on alot of weeds as it keeps them from getting the sun .

#84079 March 14th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
You are right datasmom. Cutting high works much better for clover. Cutting clover short encourages it to spread it's root system. Cutting high before the flowers get to set seed will help a lot. It will take the 4 to 5 years of normal life cycle but should eventually cut back the amount you have in your lawn. And as you said, it can actually be beneficial as it adds nitrogen. Don't know about up where y'all are but down here it goes dormant during the heat of summer so it's mostly a problem in spring/early summer. Right now I have tons of it but it's making our "pet" deer herd quite happy laugh Since they keep it grazed down, I don't have the option of mowing it high eek

#84080 March 16th, 2007 at 02:12 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
A combination of weed be Gone and mowing your lawn at the correct height will help you to control the clover population. Follow the directions on the product label exactly, and it should do the trick.

Link Copied to Clipboard