This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84031 March 16th, 2007 at 10:30 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hello Forum Members:
I have been given a gift of a lovely plant. I am calling it an orange tree plant though when I google that I cannot find a picture of my plant. It has small little orange looking fruit on it. It is quite loevly and I want to do my best to keep it healthy and vibrant.

I have been told today to give it a mug of water everyday and that it needs lots of light. As I have had it 6 days now and had not watered until today I gave it three mugs???.

As it may not get enough sun where it will be I was wondering if someone could tell me whether I can buy a little lamp and some sort of special bulb that will give it the sun it needs. Does that make sense? I will upload pictures to address listed below.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/GingerSunshine/

Thanks for any help and advice on how to care for my lovely gift!

[img]http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/GingerSunshine/[/img]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum!

i don't think that's an orange tree. it could be a kumquat or a mandarin.

generally, watering should be done about weekly and you'll want to make sure you soak the soil completely...i usually put in a little water and let it soak down for 10 minutes or so and then add some more (and a third time, if needed).

you'll want to water when the soil is dry about an inch down from the top.

once someone figures out exactly what it is, the watering cycle may change...just use weekly for a general guideline for now.

I thin one cup a day might be too much, maybe it's a jerusalem cherry? Are the frutis smooth or do they look like little oranges?

O
OP Offline
O
Thank you joclyn and kennyso for your replies to my request for advice on caring for my plant.

I have posted three more pictures - just of the fruit - at:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/GingerSunshine/

Fruit looks like little oranges to me though maybe more like clementines than oranges?? If you double-click on the photos or click [View as Slideshow] the photos will be enlarged.

"CloseupOfFruit2" will give you the best picture of the fruit.

smile

In chinese we call those 'gut' meaning 'everything goes smoothly' (can't think of a singel word for that) you see those around a lot during chinese new years which just passed. in some cases, the fruits will eventually fall off and the plant dies, but in other cases, the plant can survive year from year (some people just tos sthe plant out after new years...such a waste to me but tradition goes on...) care for it like any other citrus plant, occasiionally add some crushed egg shell (no egg though!) on top of the soil to let the plant absorb some calcium and it should do fine

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't think it's jerusalem cherry...the leaves look different.

O
OP Offline
O
What about some extra light help? Is there such a thing as using a lamp with a special bulb to give it more ?artificial sunlight if it will be in a location where it may not get the sun it needs?

P.S. I forgot to say earlier...Thank you joclyn for the welcome to the forum. smile

M
MLN Offline
M
Didn't see you in the new members area so I will welcome you to the forum from here--glad to have you. As for light for you plant--it appears to be in a well lighted window where it is. What exposure is that--south? The light looks good enough to me that I don't see why you couldn't leave it there and just turn the plant every few days to expose both sides. Some plants do well in artificial light but most prefer the real thing if they can get it.

O
OP Offline
O
It faces west and there is a large old tall tree in front of the window - bare now as there is still snow outside here - but when the foliage returns it blocks quite a bit of sun...we have had to cut it back once or twice as the branches in the summer bang on the window all night and wake you up...so actually lots of light in winter and less so in summer.

M
MLN Offline
M
OOOOHHHHH! I see. So that does make a problem for you. What I would do (if you don't have a southern window you can move it to) is put it under artificial light (flourescent would be the preferred) during the summer and move it back to the west-facing window in the winter. I have a plant that I saved from my step-daughters funeral that I like to display on a bookcase in the living room and it does quite well but I always move it to my east window during the summer and that perks it up soooo much wink One other possibility--do you have a place outside where it could be placed for the summer? It would have to be in bright light, not right out in the sun (maybe under that tree that blocks it's sun during the summer). Several of my large plants just LOVE to live on my porch for the summer.

P
P
It looks like MEIWA KUMQUAT

Kennyso. I have a rather poorly miniature orange. (I know what it is). Will crushed egg shells feed calcium to genuine oranges as well?

Link Copied to Clipboard