This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83897 June 16th, 2004 at 05:43 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
My sister-in-law gave me 2 zinna plants last summer. This year, I decided to re-pot them (several came up in each pot this year). However, I seem to have more than one kind of plant. Anyone know the difference in these? I think one is a weed...?

plants/3_Plants.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/Zinnia1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/Zinnia2.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/Plant3_1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#83898 June 26th, 2004 at 05:21 AM
Have they bloomed? Is one a weed? Pictures please.

#83899 June 26th, 2004 at 06:17 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
No, they haven't bloomed, yet. And, sad to say, I just don't have a green thumb, lol. What started out as zinnias, in 2 pots, has now become one zinnia :rolleyes: , about 3 goldenrod laugh & 6 others that look like 2 other weeds laugh laugh laugh that I have seperated into about 10 pots, LOL!

So, bottom line...I think I lost one of my zinnias, grew lots of weeds & my one little lonely zinnia is just now starting to grow a little. It's only about 3 inches tall & hasn't bloomed. I'm a failure ters

#83900 June 26th, 2004 at 08:21 AM
Don't feel bad! Duh

#83901 July 1st, 2004 at 05:31 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
So, when do zinnia's bloom? I got them this time last year & they were already huge & blooming. I'm down to one now & it's not very big & hasn't bloomed. The ones I see at the stores already have big pretty blooms. I'm probably gonna lose this one, too. I guess Duh

#83902 July 2nd, 2004 at 12:57 AM
Mine are blooming now. I'm in NC.

#83903 July 22nd, 2004 at 05:43 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
So, here's the latest update on my zinnia. I repotted it early this year from the large pot it was in to a very small pot. A day or 2 ago, I repotted it again, mixed peat moss in the soil it was in & have had to water it at least once, sometimes twice a day! It's been so hot here. Maybe watering was my problem but it has really taken off in the last couple of weeks. I just may get a bloom grinnnn

plants/zinnia3.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#83904 July 22nd, 2004 at 06:31 AM
Congratulations, Sami! Looks like you did the trick.

#83905 July 29th, 2004 at 01:33 AM
What did the other plants turn out to be?

#83906 July 29th, 2004 at 04:05 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sami,
Which one of the first 3 pictures
was actually the zinnia???

Just very curious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weezie

#83907 July 29th, 2004 at 08:55 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
None of the first pics ended up being the Zinnia! LOL! See, when I got them last year, they were huge! So, I assumed that the little tiny one was just a little weed but it turned out to be the Zinna...all the others were weeds laugh laugh laugh The tallest ones were Goldenrod & the smaller one...I just don't know but see it growing everywhere! I told you I was new to this laugh laugh

It, actually, has one bloom that doesn't look too good but it has 3 more buds that are fixing to bloom any day. A few of the leaves, all of a sudden, look bad. I think maybe my daughter splashed water on some of the leaves while she was in her little pool. The pool & the Zinnia are on the porch, so I think she damaged some of the leaves. I added some kind of fast blooming stuff to it when I repotted it & it seems to have helped. That & the fact that I've been watering it much, much more than before & I water it in the little dish that's under the pot.

#83908 August 4th, 2004 at 11:43 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline

plants/3_Plants.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image] [/QB]
OK, this one (I got rid of) but these are pics of more mature plants of the same kind. I saw someone post something similar...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#83909 August 4th, 2004 at 11:46 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
And this is an update on my zinnia...leaves looking dry, trying to bloom but still not as beautiful or large as it should be frown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#83910 August 12th, 2004 at 04:24 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, my zinnia is doing better, has 3 flowers now & several buds getting ready to bloom. It still isn't very big but is just a little bigger than the pot, now. When can I plant this in the ground & know that it will come back next year? I'm afraid it will die in the pot like the other one did. And, can someone tell me what the seeds look like & how to collect them?

#83911 August 12th, 2004 at 09:46 PM
to get the seeds from a zinnia let the flower die on the plant (completely die--brittley to the touch dry) and the seeds will be at the ends of the dry dead flower petals.

the larger plants are poke berry (poke salad) I have it growing all over my yard. Just sut some of it down because I did not want the purple berries dropping on what is sitting under it.

#83912 August 13th, 2004 at 01:49 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, suzydaze! I would have never guessed that the zinnia seeds were there...I looked at the blooms & couldn't figure it out (I'm a dummy, though). And, on the poke berry...makes complete sense! I've heard of it all my life & never knew what it was. Where in Arkansas are you? I'm in Texarkana, TX.

#83913 August 13th, 2004 at 02:24 PM
I'm up close to memphis, tenn. what they call the tri state area. about 45 minutes from memphis and about 45 minutes from the missouri state line.

I'm a beginner too. just been doing this about a year. Found my first set of seeds by just tearing the petals off the top of a marigold. I had toss some dead heads in the trash and had one playing with it, when I topped it out feel my seeds. I retreived the others and started looking up and asking where the seeds where to flowers after that. I sure didn't want to be tossing any in the trash again. *L*

My dad was raised on poke salad, so I guess sort of as a reminder or a back up plan *L* he planted the stuff all over the yard. I moved back to where I grew up 2 years ago and the stuff was just growing wild cause he and my mom had moved from here 17 years ago. My mom came by one day and says "you're poke salad sure looks nice" *LMAO*

#83914 August 15th, 2004 at 03:47 AM
and zinnias are annuals& the seeds are blackish brown and are the outer petals.if you pull one outer petal off will see a seed on tip of it.you may not have a tall one cause are short/dwarf and tall ones.I like the tall ones.I did have a few seeds overwinter and sprout up& bloom.I'm sorry have not paid much attention to time sowed to time bloomed but sowed some cactus type and when bloom will tell ya how long.are full sun watered daily.I've learned that when in partial shade the stems will curve& curl and do weird crap.

Link Copied to Clipboard