This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#83491 January 17th, 2007 at 01:51 AM
OP Offline
Most of you know that our septic system went kaput recently, and we have to hook up to the town sewer system. The guy is out there digging out the trench as I write. What Don did not plan for, is that the driveway is completely covered in dirt and our 2 cars are parked in the garage! He seems to think the dirt will be back in the ditch before I need to get Amy from school around 4p.m.

Here is the dirt mound view from the street about an hour ago - the house is our next door neighbors' but ours is the same design only in white with blue shutters, and blue/grey shingles.

[Linked Image]

Here is a view of the dirt from the house side.
It actually doesn't look quite as bad as it does in person:

[Linked Image]

We have asked the contractor if he would dig out a pond in the back when he's finished with the sewer. He's such a nice guy, and said that he's done that a few other times for people. So, after quickly thinking it out, I've decided on 11 x 15 to be behind where the bathtub pond/garden is. There will need to be a pathway between the two, because the pipe has to go there too.

This is the view from the driveway looking down to the yard where the pond will go behind the bathtub garden.

[Linked Image]

#83492 January 17th, 2007 at 01:54 AM
OP Offline
There will probably be a 3-4 foot path between the gardens, as the pipe will be under there.
Some more views of the area before it's dug out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#83493 January 17th, 2007 at 01:55 AM
Lots of rocks they are digging up there Lynne. The new pond is going to be so awesome! Great deal that he is so willing to dig it out for you. That will save you all so much money and many hours of back breaking work.

#83494 January 17th, 2007 at 01:59 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Lots of rocks they are digging up there Lynne.
That's the first thing I noticed! thumbup
I'd be out there grabbing those rocks like a crazy person! grinnnn

I can't wait to see your pond!

#83495 January 17th, 2007 at 01:59 AM
OP Offline
Thanks you two!

Triss - Don will be paying him to dig it out, but since he's here already, hopefully it won't be much.

What you can't see, is that the property slopes down right after this area, so we really don't use the backyard much other than this flat area, and I have a few gardens down by the shed. I'm going to go back out and take a few more pics to show the slope.

Don is trying to pick out some good rocks that are flat on one side so we can use them around the pond to help hold down the liner.

#83496 January 17th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
OP Offline
ooops - didn't see Cindy post at the same time - see - Cindy Jr. already!!! laugh muggs

We have sooooo many rocks here in ROCKland County I don't think I need to run out and grab 'em! But I am going out to take some more pics - be back soon.

#83497 January 17th, 2007 at 02:28 AM
S
S
thats cool lynne!
too bad your sewer went kaput, i know that cost alot, atleast your getting a pond out of it thumbup

#83498 January 17th, 2007 at 02:35 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, sibyl!

So, the job will take another 1/2 day, so I have time to think and talk over the pond idea overnight - anyone have any more ideas?

Poor Roxie!!! She keeps running into whatever room I'm in and GROWWWWWWWWLING - she does not like those trucks and the tractor!

Anywho...I took more pics of the slope of the backyard, and the area we will put the pond.

From the side:
[Linked Image]

From the base of the backyard - I'm standing in front of the shed that's in front of the rock wall:
[Linked Image]

From the other side of the backyard:
[Linked Image]

Can you get a feel for how the backyard slopes away from the house?

#83499 January 17th, 2007 at 03:02 AM
OP Offline
Don is out there picking the rocks out of the dirt that is being back-hoed into the ditch. He got a really nice flat one, but needed a handtruck to move it away! laugh Duh

#83500 January 17th, 2007 at 06:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Youuuuuuuuuu lucky duck!!
I am very happy for you Lynne..
I can't wait to see it all come together for you..
*see how one bad happenin' can become a blessing
in disquise thumbup clp *

#83501 January 17th, 2007 at 06:16 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Thorn heads down to the crick to catch some minners to go in Lynne's new pond.

#83502 January 17th, 2007 at 07:02 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
Youuuuuuuuuu lucky duck!!
I am very happy for you Lynne..
I can't wait to see it all come together for you..
*see how one bad happenin' can become a blessing
in disquise
Ya know, Weezie - I was thinking that too... Duh perpl sca

Thorny - how big do minnows get exactly? wink
I need to find out how many/size fish I'll be able to put in a pond that size, before I get too enthusiastic!

#83503 January 17th, 2007 at 07:02 AM
Gee, Lynne ~ what a nice bounty you guys are making of an unhappy occurance to homeowners!

I can't wait to see the progress of this project.

Do you happen to know the grade of the backyard slope? From the photos it doesn't look very steep although covering an extended area.... I have a hard time with posted photos anyway, unless they are exceptionally bright. Sometimes additional yakking helps me fill in what I can't readily see.

Merme

#83504 January 17th, 2007 at 07:18 AM
clp clp That is cool lynne, look forward to more and more pics;-)

#83505 January 17th, 2007 at 07:33 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Merme and Angie!

Weezie - the pond will only be 3 feet and not really a source of water - I don't think it would qualify.

Merme - Don says the slope is about 30 degrees?
Here's a picture that he took from the second story deck - you can see how much lower the shed and rock wall are, and if you look really closely, you can see a small rock just left of center in the grass - that is how wide the pond will be - I think!
[Linked Image]

There will be 3-4 feet of walkway between the bathtub pond (you can see it here) and the large pond to the left of it.

Here is one of the workers in the deepest part of the ditch by the sewer hookup to the street:

[Linked Image]

#83506 January 17th, 2007 at 08:19 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Minnows are usually 1-3 inches long.

#83507 January 17th, 2007 at 11:41 PM
OP Offline
Did someone say ROCKS??? laugh Duh

[Linked Image]

Don is grabbing all the rocks with a flat side to them to line the pond with,and also for the waterfall. thumbup

Look how careful the contractor is being with my gardens! He has to bring the pipe down this way, but is making sure to clear the edge of the gardens - not by a whole lot I might add, but very skillfully so!

Can you see the edge of the bathtub garden in this picture?
[Linked Image]

Here, they came very close to another garden with a yucca on the edge. The pipes you see are the inground sprinkler system that Don put in a few years ago - some things just had to be sacrificed! Fortunately, NOT the gardens! wink

[Linked Image]

#83508 January 18th, 2007 at 12:00 AM
OP Offline
I just looked out the second story and this was what I saw - went out on the freezing cold deck for the shot - look how close he had to get to the bathtub pond! And see how the pond is frozen for the very first time this winter? The ground is so hard, that he has to keep pouring anti-freeze into the bucket of the backhoe because the dirt is sticking to it!!!

[Linked Image]

#83509 January 18th, 2007 at 12:04 AM
That is so close to your pond, Lynne! The guy is doing a super job not to ruin your gardens...

Anti-freeze in the bucket? Is it going to be a problem for your kitties after all is done?

#83510 January 18th, 2007 at 12:31 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for thinking of the kitties, Dianna - my 3 do not go outside at all, and Slinky is the only outdoor feral cat who comes around for food anymore, so I hope he'll be ok! (WHERE'S FRAIDY??? eek Duh eek )

The guy does turn the soil back into the trench, so hopefully the anti-freeze will go down lower rather than on the surface. I think I'll ask him next time I brave the cold and go outside.

#83511 January 18th, 2007 at 05:31 AM
OP Offline
OK - I hope I don't bore you all to tears, but here is the "pond" in its earliest stages:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#83512 January 18th, 2007 at 05:36 AM
OP Offline
and the last few for now...

[Linked Image]

Sooooooooo, we went from this:

[Linked Image]

To this!!!

[Linked Image]

It doesn't show here as big as it is, but you can see how deep it is. Don will be sculpting it into a kidney shape with shelves along the edges for aquatic plant pots in the spring. I keep telling him it's going to be a LOT of work - he keeps telling me to stop saying that! So... I will stop! laugh Duh

#83513 January 18th, 2007 at 05:37 AM
I wish that guy would bring his backhoe up here! Oh, Lynne, I know you are tickled to pieces. I am so happy for you...

#83514 January 18th, 2007 at 05:39 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Dianna! Duh nutz

#83515 January 18th, 2007 at 05:49 AM
OP Offline
OMG!!!!!!!! flw

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard