This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82974 February 12th, 2007 at 05:39 PM
OP Offline
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a Jade plant that I have had for a few years. In the last week it has gotten droopy as if it is top heavy. It has not lost any leaves but it is just sagging. I have a stake in the pot with it and have it tied to it ( the tie has been there ever since I have had it) It just keeps falling over as if it is too top heavy. WHY??? Duh

#82975 February 12th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum, neighbor!! what part of pa is duryea in?

when it comes to the jade, there are any number of reasons it could be sagging.

could you post a pic of it?

have you recently moved it? what about watering? is it getting enough, or too much? how does the main stem feel? is it firm or squishy? do you see anything on it - white fluff or black/brown marks?

#82976 February 12th, 2007 at 08:26 PM
OP Offline
I did move it from the window it was in as I was painting that room. It has been watered just as always and the main stem is not squishy it akk feels firm. No whait or brown marks. I noticed it starting to sag after it was moved. I really do not want to loose it. How do I post a picture???

#82977 February 12th, 2007 at 08:37 PM
OP Offline
Joclyn, Duryea is just outside of Scranton. It is a small town. There is Avoca, Pittston, Duryea, Moosic...if you blink you could be lost hahaha. I lived in King of Prussia for a 1 1/2 and then moved here in 2004. I am originally from Lower Delaware. Lived there all my life till 2003 when I moved to Pa. I met someone in 2001 and I moved with him in 2003. I hope you know where Scranton is, so then you will know that I am about 10 miles from there.

#82978 February 12th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
wavey

I know where Scranton is! I was born there! laugh

I don't know what kind of light your giving your jade, but my sister had one for a few years and it also drooped, Without stake and ties to hold it upright, the stems would just fall over (multiple stems)
I think it was because she kept it where it didn't receive enough direct sun. The stems where thinner then they should have neen, they just couldn't hold up their own weight as it grew.
It might have been over-watered, or under-watered as some point as well.

smile

#82979 February 13th, 2007 at 04:23 AM
Hi Bonnie. smile I know where Scranton is also. smile

One thing about jades is they are severely picky and absolutely HATE anything being changed...especially their position. Since you noticed the drooping after you moved it, I think it would probably be very safe to say that it is just pouting because you moved it. Did you move it to a window that is facing the same direction? If not, and you have another window that faces the same direction, then I would think that placing it at that window, in the same position that it was originally in would probably help. Jades can get used to almost any kind of light, but if they are moved, they need to be moved gradually. You might loose a few leaves if the plant continues to pout. Also, if the plant is getting less light where it is now and can't be moved to a place that is more similiar to where it was, then you might want to put a light next to it for an hour a day to try to similate the amount of light it was getting. I'm sure Joclyn will be around to elaborate on that thought.

Good luck. smile

#82980 February 13th, 2007 at 02:43 PM
OP Offline
Thank you hisgal, I moved it back to the original window it was in, after reading all the post about Jades. When I moved it I put it in a window on the same side of the house the other window was but I guess it did not like that one. Duh It is nice to meet you and hope that we can chat again soon. Again Thanks thumbup

#82981 February 13th, 2007 at 05:05 PM
I forgot to mention that you shouldn't change your watering pattern....even though the plant is drooping. It will cheer up eventually. smile

#82982 February 13th, 2007 at 10:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
bonnie, yes, i know where scranton is...lol, i live near k of p right now. and i know delaware - we went to rehoboth all the time when i was a kid...up to my early 20's. absolutely loved it there!!

yes, if you moved it, it will let you know about it if it's unhappy with the new spot!! jades are finicky when it comes to their lighting!!

now that you've put it back into it's original spot, it should get back to normal...expect it to take a couple, few weeks tho!! and jenn is right, continue watering it as you have been!!

to post pics, you need to upload them to a hosting site and then put a link to it in your post here.

i use photobucket.com. easy to use and they have a free service too.

#82983 February 14th, 2007 at 12:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one final thing about your jade (all their advice is right on)

if it is getting droopy as in it just doesn't seem to have the umph to stand up, it might just be that top-heavy. i've seen older ones that will have the branches start out, then bend down to almost touch or rest on the soil, then stand back up again. almost like they are propping themselves up.

#82984 February 14th, 2007 at 03:10 PM
OP Offline
Hi all, Thank you so much for all your advice. I moved it back to its original spot and will watch it for a few weeks. I am going to try posting 2 pics of it. I want to say its nice meeting all of you and hope to have many more chats. Thank you

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#82985 February 14th, 2007 at 05:43 PM
...that's one way to keep it upright while it gets over its sulk! clp

I'll have to remember that for some of my bigger plants.

#82986 February 14th, 2007 at 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's a nice-looking jade!!!

haha, i like how you've rigged it to hold it upright, too!!

the sagging was probably due to moving it...it should recuperate just fine.

if you want, you can trim off some of the ends of the branches (to lighten the weight up) and then root those pieces - either in the same pot or in another one.

#82987 February 22nd, 2007 at 01:47 PM
I think it is a very pretty plant!

I have a jade someone gave me; about 3" tall, and putting out two new leaves in it's end. Can't wait for it to get big!!

I've have been glad to read all the advise given to you, Bonnie, as I had no idea what to do with a jade. Unknowingly I have moved it to different places and lighting. It hasn't seemed to hurt it so far, but maybe it is just to young to know any better! grinnnn I will now be more careful with it in the future, thanks to you!!
Enjoyed those beautiful pictures.

#82988 February 27th, 2007 at 02:38 AM
Shirley, I don't move mine, but I do spin it every week or so because I cannot stand a crooked plant. laugh Mine seems to tolerate it pretty well. Hasn't pouted yet. smile

#82989 February 27th, 2007 at 02:59 AM
I have moved mine often, from the livingroom back to the bedroom. So far it has not minded, maybe cuz I water the same no matter which room and both rooms have the same light, same direction, and the places I put it are the same distance from the wall. So not much really changes environment wise just location.

Link Copied to Clipboard