This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82909 June 24th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
J
jfredt Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am looking into buying a garden tiller. I have looked at sears and mantis. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read some discouraging things on mantis with the upkeep and starting problems. I have actually used a small sears 4 cycle that worked pretty well. I do need a huge tiller but i do need one. Thanks in advance for your replies- fred

#82910 June 24th, 2006 at 05:29 AM
J
J
Originally posted by jfredt:
I have read some discouraging things on mantis with the upkeep and starting problems. I
I've never heard of those problems when I was researching tillers a few years ago. There is more upkeep required on ALL two stroke engines though. I bought my Mantis with the 4 stroke Honda engine in 2004. A couple months ago when I went to start it for the first time since last year it started on the first pull with last year's fuel still in it. This tiller is the best small tiller on the market. The tines on it are absolutely indestructible. The Honda engine is as smooth as silk, starts on the first pull every time, runs quiet and has none of those two stroke exhaust fumes. I can't say enough good things about this machine. Wouldn't trade it for anything! My neighbor just bought a Sears craftsman, so only time will tell.

#82911 June 24th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
W
W
I didn't think sears had a service dept, for what they sell. If you have a problem where do you go?, after the warranty that is.

Honda engines are the best, I haven't run anything that beats them, quieter, more efficient, easiest to start, service availible almost anywhere if you'd need it.

From a tiller standpoint, my first and only brand wouild be Troy Bilt, but if you just want a cultivator, then I have little to reccomend.

No matter if 2cycle or 4 you still need to do seasonal maintenance, drain the gas or put stabil in it, clean the airfilter if needed, and on a four cycle-change the oil. It's always good to keep an extra sparkplug handy too. Don't forget to grease any fittings, or moving parts that the manual reccomends, its way cheaper to keep it in good shape than it is to need it and not have it work properly.

Good luck on your search.

#82912 June 24th, 2006 at 06:05 AM
J
J
Woodchuck, troy bilt tillers USED to be the best. My father-in-law has a 30 year old troy that still runs great. Now that MTD manufactures them, they are no longer very well made. Nothing is made well anymore unfortunately.

#82913 June 24th, 2006 at 07:03 AM
I have an older troy bilt Pony, I just love it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The newer ones are just not as good.

#82914 June 24th, 2006 at 09:36 AM
E
E
I agree about the Troy Bilt's so just bought a Sears 7hp tiller last year that has worked great. I did alot of research on the small tillers about 3 years ago and bought a Honda tiller. It has the Honda 2 cycle like a lot of Mantis's and I could get it some cheaper. And real satified with it. JD

#82915 June 24th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
One of the differences on the newer Troy-bilt's is the way the wheels disengage from the transmission.

On the older ones there is a control rod on the handle bars used to disengage the wheels, and on the newer ones, you have to tip the tiller remove a pin slid the wheel in or out and reinstall the pin. You have to do this to both wheels.

I think the bigger Trot-bilts the Pony and Horse model still have the disengage lever, but the Bronco, Tuffy, and smaller ones don't.

Another thing to look at is, are the tines forward or counter rotating. Forward rotating means they spin the same direction as the wheels, and counter means they rotate backwards.

I tried a counter rotating Craftmans and didn't like it at all, the wheels spun one way and the tines the other, so the only thing it did in my hard clay soil was bury itself. The Troy-bilt is much lighter and doesn't bury itself, but you DO have to hang on. Mine doesn't have a spring loaded drive control like the newer ones.

#82916 June 24th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
W
W
Amigatec;

That's the same 5hp Pony model I have, bought it at an auction last year for $400, kind of high but this old guy next to me just kept after it. The same current model goes for $1100 around here so I that helps ease the pain. This year it has needed a new coil, and starter clutch, not a big deal, I upgraded to the pointless coil, nicer.

#82917 June 24th, 2006 at 11:46 AM
I gave $300 for mine and last year had a vavle job done on it, I put new tines on it this spring

It does seem just a bit underpowered, if it had a 6 hp motor it would be perfect!!!

#82918 June 24th, 2006 at 02:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have 2 cycle little mini~rototiller by
Ryobi...
And I love, love it...
Gives me a nice freedom from having to wait for my husband to come thru and do it..

We also hve a Troybuilt, 4 cycle big one...
Love that one too, but is too big for little ole me to pull the rip start...

My little Ryobi is just my size..

#82919 June 24th, 2006 at 03:30 PM
E
E
Amigatec my Craftsman will spin either way. You just move a lever and it spins the other. I like one to just till and the other to break things up and deep till. I have used Troy Bilts and they are nice. We had a newer one at my company and I didn't think it was as nice as the older ones. Just my opinion. JD

#82920 June 24th, 2006 at 06:08 PM
I have a Honda 4-cycle, mini-tiller and I really love it! thumbup If I need anything the Honda dealer is only a block from my house so I can just put it in my graden cart and walk it up there. laugh laugh

#82921 January 7th, 2007 at 08:48 AM
I just bought a Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller with an 8 HP Briggs motor and Electric Start for $150!!!!!

I have to do a little work on it, fix a flat, replace a gas line and see why the electric start doesn't work. The starter works its either the switch or the solenoid.

I am as happy as a puppydog with 2 tails!!!!

I'll send some pictures later.

#82922 January 7th, 2007 at 10:51 AM
my mother bought that little mantis thingy and just loves it!!!!!!!!!

#82923 January 7th, 2007 at 11:07 AM
I have looked at a lot of Horse Tillers and they always have 7 HP Tecumseh Motors, but this is the first one I have seen with a 8 HP Briggs on it.

The horse has 4 forward and 2 reverse speeds.

I really am tickled to death to get one.

#82924 January 7th, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I am as happy as a puppydog with 2 tails!!!!
Nowwwwwwwwww that's happy!!! thumbup flw
Glad to hear of your find...

Those things are theeeeeee best to have..
Come in so handy.. flw

#82925 January 8th, 2007 at 04:08 AM
Well I got it running, and you talk about an animal!!!! That thing really throws the dirt.

I resized my garden and tilled up some new soil, it didn't have any problem breaking it up.

I may start doing custom tilling around town.

#82926 January 8th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
J
J
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I really am tickled to death to get one.
I can see why! The price is right and it sounds like a minimal amount of work to get it running. I'd love to get a big tiller eventually.

Post a pic when you get a chance.

#82927 January 9th, 2007 at 01:28 AM
Great Buy Pat!!!!

My step Dad bought a mantis and has already returned it to the company...If you have any rocks in your garden you spend more time picking the rocks out of the mantis tines. I have a little 2 cycle Ryobi that I just love and I do have a rocky garden which has not been a problem using it. We also have a big rear tined tiller.

#82928 January 9th, 2007 at 11:35 AM
I will have to take some pictures, the thing I like about it is the electric start.

I did find out it is either a Horse I or II, made probably in the late '70's

#82929 January 9th, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Would the Mantis be bad in clay soil?

Pat, I know you are excited about the good deal you found. I wish I could find a deal like that...

Dianna

Link Copied to Clipboard