This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82794 January 7th, 2007 at 11:12 AM
OP Offline
please someone tell me how to keep the wild birds from slamming in to the many windows of the house?????????? i have hung suncatchers and other stuff in them and some even have curtains. i have made 5 "rescues", a wren, woodpecker, titmouse, another wren, and something else. as soon as i hear one hit, i scoop it up and hold it until it comes out of shock and then it flies away!

the problem is i'm not always around, so occasionally i find dead ones on the ground and the porch roof. ters eek

one day last summer a hawk, yes, HAWK, hit. it sat up in a nearby tree and collected itself, then flew off. Thank goodness i did'nt have to retrieve it somehow, that would have made a great story for the ER!

sooo, any suggestions?

#82795 January 7th, 2007 at 11:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think, if you put the static clings on the windows, they show up better than the suncatchers and curtains. my understanding is that they fly into the windows when the window is so "clean" that they can't see the glass and think they can go through the "obstacle".

#82796 January 7th, 2007 at 12:56 PM
OP Offline
yeah, like the windex commercial, i sure you are right, in the den there are large windows on 3 sides. it really does look like you can come through one and fly out the others. those cling things realy help? i will get some. i feel like such a bad garden mommie when i look at the rotting baby that is on top of the kitchen porch now, BAD FAERY, BAD BAD FAERY!!!!!!

#82797 January 7th, 2007 at 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think they do. i don't have that size windows, but if you make the seem like an obstruction to the birds.

the problem with the sun catchers and curtains is that they are just offset enough from the glass to make the glass not seem "real" if that makes sense.

#82798 January 7th, 2007 at 08:13 PM
Clings work. There are some made by bird co's just for that purpose. Or hang things in front of the windows on the outside. A suction cup feeder, a trailing hanging plant, window thermometer, windchime, mobile, anything to beak up the reflection. The cleaner the window the more of a reflection, so dirty windows in this case are actually good. Theres also a product you hang outside a window that is strings with colorful feathers hanging down them. {let me see if I have pics in my PB}
If you don't HAVE to pick up the birds that are stunned DONT. You'd only have to if a neighborhood kitty was lurking, or hawk, or if it fell into a road. It can be too stressful for tweety.

#82799 January 7th, 2007 at 08:22 PM
This type is almost unseen by people but birds see it clearly.
[Linked Image]
I dont have a pic of the feather one right now.

#82800 January 7th, 2007 at 08:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmmmmmm. If I got to hold little birds, I think I be tempted to let my windows shine wink However, I agree with Wrennie, unless something is waiting to ponce on the little guy it is best to let him recover on his own. Picking up a bird can scare him death.

Birds are not very smart. Just outside the window above this computer, sits a little evergreen shrub with what I call 6 lily pads (I need an ID on it).

Titmouses love the shrub and preen there a lot (I'm a lucky girl).
The window is impossible to keep clean. It's only a few inches from the dirt and dog loves that spot, and when it rains.... It's dirty a lot, yet almost everyday a bird or two bangs into it!

Not hard enough to hurt it, they don't have much mommentum going. Bird's are bird brains! They really aren't very smart. If I throw bird yum-yums on the lily pads, windows clean/dirty, lights on/off, shade up/down I can get 3-4 birds smacking into it. It actually gets kind of funny.

Anyway, some will to extremes and make their windows less than idea for their own pleasure to save their feathered friends. You need a responible compromise - because nature made birds dumb and windows are just another equalizing factor - like cats!

Ban all windows -- bird advocates!!!

#82801 January 10th, 2007 at 10:35 AM
OP Offline
i will say my upstairs windows, i NEVER clean, but i guess they are not dirty enough!! where can i get those window alert decals?

#82802 January 11th, 2007 at 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm not sure where all they are available, but i know you can order them from wrennie's store.

#82803 January 11th, 2007 at 12:24 PM
I got mine from Wrennie!

thumbup

Dianna

#82804 January 11th, 2007 at 12:38 PM
OP Offline
this is a real dumb question,,,,,,,wrennie has a store??????? catalogs? on line? i want to order these and i'm sure other stuff!!!!!

#82805 January 12th, 2007 at 01:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My parent's used to soap the windows..
*like a dry powdered soap, and mix with just a bit of water, to make like a paste*
and put lines' and squiggles thru them..

Then the birds see those lines and steer clear..
Of course, it doesn't always look pretty..
*at least what they did* but who's to say you couldn't put big flowers, or something you're good at drawing with a paintbrush....

#82806 January 12th, 2007 at 11:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by faerywatcher:
this is a real dumb question,,,,,,,wrennie has a store??????? catalogs? on line? i want to order these and i'm sure other stuff!!!!!
wrennie has a store and on line but i don't think catalogs Duh wrennie, help me out here laugh laugh

AND i don't have any problem telling you that because wrennie is very good to follow our rules on advertising. and, i happen to know several members have bought from her sucessfully. one day, i will too!

#82807 January 14th, 2007 at 08:58 AM
Maybe you can hang those outside bamboo type of blinds on the windows for when your gone. Awning stuff?////

dodge Duh

#82808 January 15th, 2007 at 09:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup another good idea but, if you do that, you won't have the view or the light.

#82809 January 15th, 2007 at 09:24 AM
nor the birds.ha ha ha

Link Copied to Clipboard