This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8259 August 11th, 2005 at 09:04 AM
OP Offline
This recipe is gobbled down by my daughter and husband like no other, ever!!!

Last year, we visited our son at college in upstate NY and went blueberry picking. They were the most gorgeous, delicious, HUGE like marbles, blueberries we have ever had. We each got a bucket to pick them into, and of course had no idea how much we had until we went back up front to weigh them in. Turns out that between the 4 of us, we picked 16 pounds!!! What were we to do with all those berries?!?!?!?

We left 1/3 of them with our son, and took the rest home. Made lots of blueberry smoothies, ate them fresh, made muffins, etc. Then my son e-mailed me this recipe and we could not get enough of it!!!

My daughter describes it as "the perfect food!"
It has yogurt (good for you), chicken (protein), veggies and fruit (we all know how good these are for you!) It's a nice cold salad for these oppressive summer days, and I can't keep it in the fridge for more than a day - no matter how much I make - they eat it so quickly! We had it for dinner tonite, and it will probably be gone after lunch tomorrow - both of them will be home.

Very simple to make - just a matter of cooking the chicken and cutting the veggies, and adding the dressing.

Low-Fat Lemon Blueberry and Chicken Salad

2 cups fresh blueberries, divided (I put them all in - don't save any for garnish)
3/4 low-fat lemon yogurt
3 tbsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
1/2 cup sliced green onion (scallions)
3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery
1/2 cup diced sweet red bell pepper

To prepare: Reserve a few blueberries for garnish. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise and salt. Add remaining blueberries, the chicken, green onions and bell pepper; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend; at least 30 minutes. Serve over endive or other greens garnished with reserved blueberries and lemon slices, if desired. Yield: 4 portions (about 5 cups). Submitted by North American Blueberry Council

I usually serve it plain without the endive or greens,
though that sounds really good too! thumbup

#8260 August 11th, 2005 at 11:43 AM
Wow! This sounds so yummy! And of course, blueberries are so plentiful here in Maine...

thumbup

Thanks!

Merme

#8261 August 13th, 2005 at 04:00 AM
Oops! I totally misunderstood this recipe. For some reason I thought it was a PASTA salad... don't know why I made that assumption, but I did!

So I made mine for dinner tonight with cooked medium shells pasta added. And it was delicious!

Thanks, Lynne. Next time I'll be sure to read the directions the way you wrote them!

Merme

#8262 August 13th, 2005 at 09:02 AM
OP Offline
Merme - I think that it's a great idea to add pasta shells!!! What could be wrong with those? Sounds like a terrific addition to the recipe. How did Maxi like it?

#8263 August 13th, 2005 at 09:49 AM
Oh Lynne, Maxi like it just fine! He was really tickled that the dressing was primarily yogurt. And of course, with all the other ingredients being so delicious in of themselves, he was really pleased. (I skipped the scallions just for him tonight)

What a very fancy, handsome treat that is to put in a bowl.

Thanks, Lynne!

Merme

#8264 August 30th, 2005 at 11:07 AM
I just tried this recipe tonight and my husband and I both loved it.
Of course, I had to try 3 stores before I found one that carried blueberries but it was worth it!

I think that the addition of some pecans or walnuts might be nice in this one.

#8265 August 30th, 2005 at 08:33 PM
OP Offline
Tatooeed - glad you guys like it. Adding some pecans or walnuts sounds yummy! Thanks for the suggestion!

#8266 January 26th, 2006 at 07:48 AM
OP Offline
Moving this up since I made it for dinner tonight.
Hope you enjoy!

Link Copied to Clipboard