This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82526 January 27th, 2007 at 02:25 AM
M
OP Offline
M
It's a long story but anyway... I'm looking for a particular flower for someone special. All I know is that the first three letters of this flower are "hyd..." (I'm about 99% sure of this), apparently you can buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot, it has a very pleasant fragrance and I'm thinking it might be purple, but I'm not very sure of that.

i've edited your post for readability

hydrangea , possibly?

grinnnn

--Mark--

Hydrangea?

or maybe hyacinth?

Ya know... for some reason, as soon as you mentioned that it had a very pleasant fragrance, gardenia came to mind. I know it's not purple, but for some reason that's what I thought of. It is usually sold at those stores this time of year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
both hydrangea and hyacinth can have purple flowers. hyacinth tend to be very highly fragrant.

so, it's probably hyacinth that you're looking for. it's a flowering bulb - the hydrangea is a flowering bush.

hello....i agree with the hydrangea people.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your help it seems that everyone agrees that its probably either hydrangea or hyacinth. I forgot to add one more clue it would have blossoms in May. Will this help decide between the two?

Well Hyacinth is a bulb so it would bloom in the spring verses the hydrangea which would bloom more in the summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To be on the safe side I'd probably get a hydrangea and a bag of hyacinth bulbs! laugh

My hydrangeas don't start blooming until around mid to the end of June. You can see this pic here is from July 2nd.

[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
I was just told by someone on another forum that hydrangeas don't have a scent is this true? If it is, then the flower I'm looking for is definitely not a hydrangeas (I'm for sure that whatever I'm looking for has a very pleasant fragrance)

I also forgot one more clue-this is a plant you would find in a person's front yard (I don't know of this helps at all)

hydrangeas got a scent,i m 98% sure.

what would keep people from having some in the backyard also.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well gosh, you could find both in a front yard.....only a hyrdangea is a bush and a hyacinth is a bulb....my white hydrangeas have a bit of a scent, but some of my hyacinths are very strong smelling.

I think with the info we have it's not quite enough to be 100 percent sure either way....

M
OP Offline
M
sorry I probably should have done this sooner and I hate to keep bugging everyone about this but this will probably clear things up a little.

Basically I have a this letter and I need to identify the flower mentioned in it here's the excerpt "...smell a hyd [the word was never finished that's all the letters I have because the person who wrote this didn't know how to spell it so it could be hyd... or hya... I don't know]. Whether you find some in somebody's yard or go to Lowes in their flower dept., you have to smell them because I can guarantee you it will be one of the best five seconds of your life."

The letter was dated in May so I just assume its in blossom at that time.

Again I hate to draw this out and if this doesn't clear anything up I think I'll go with a hyacinth because the consensus seems to be that a hydrangea has little or no fragrance

Thanks, everyone, you've been a big help wink

I agree. I've never smelled any scent on a hydrangea, but hyacinth does have a strong smell...and they are pretty,too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
had to have been hyacinth...it's an intensely fragrant flower!!

hydrangeas don't have too much of a scent - just beautiful big showy flowers.

R
R
one of my favorite fragrant purple flowers is heliotrope . perhaps your freind spells so badly that even the first 3 letters were off. if you smell this plant, you would probably believe it is the one.

Link Copied to Clipboard