This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82080 February 13th, 2007 at 03:47 PM
OP Offline
I hope this goes in here!!

I purchased a plastic, greenhouse with clear dome lid and 50 peat cups.
It's instructions were not too clear.
After I plant and dampen and close the top, am I going to need to open and dampen any more before I see sprouts? Will it's self-generating moisture collection on the dome be enough water until seeds pop up?
Thanks for any help.

#82081 February 13th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
S
S
depends on how long your seeds germinate, just check em every week, or two,

#82082 February 13th, 2007 at 08:48 PM
S
S
i hate hitting repley by acadent!

good luck with your dome! whatcha planting in there?

#82083 February 13th, 2007 at 09:59 PM
I have something similar Shirley, just keep an eye on them and if they start to get dry, add water! You are gonna be peeking in on them to see their growth anyhow so I am sure nothing will dry out.

#82084 February 13th, 2007 at 10:03 PM
OP Offline
I'm planting Cinnamon Basil, red Impatiens, lavendar Impatiens, deep blue Convolvulus,blue Columbine and harlequin mix Columbine, and Kenny is sending me some yellow St Johns Wort, peppermint stick Zinnia, and Jobs Tears.!! thumbup

I was thinking that with the dome and under a grow-light it would make it's own moisture enough until they sprout and then I'm suppose to prop open the domb and keep them moist.

#82085 February 13th, 2007 at 11:53 PM
Becareful ......gro lights do take up lots of moisture.
Better check everyother day with the finger in the soil.......Lights evaporate the moisture.
I have several.

#82086 February 14th, 2007 at 12:12 AM
OP Offline
Should I not use a grow light over the seeds, then...wait until I have sprouts and then use a grow light?!

#82087 February 15th, 2007 at 02:49 AM
With the dome on..the light should not be a problem...But I would be more concerned with too much moisture inside the dome, which could result in mold which would=seedling death. I would check it daily and regulate it as needed..if it remains to moist then remove the dome for an hour or two. Does this set up have a water tray on the bottom? If it was me I would only mist from the top until you figure out how well it will work out in your environment & with the light. Trial and error is the best teacher, so don't put all your seeds in there at first just try a few that you can afford to lose and experiment with it first. Oh another thing..those peat cups do tend to mold if kept to moist and they do dry out really fast. And also when you get ready to plant the peat pots directly into the soil when you set them out...they are suppose to break down in the soil, but I have found they do not break down all that well, so it is wise to tear the peat pot down the sides before setting into the soil outdoors.

#82088 February 15th, 2007 at 01:25 PM
OP Offline
Thank you Comfrey for these words of advise!!! I will certainly pay attention to everything you said!
kissies

#82089 February 15th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
You're welcome Shirley!!! That is what we are all here for is help each other and to learn from each other.

#82090 February 17th, 2007 at 01:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's the wrong germination technique for the columbine. Sorry to give you this bad news. The columbine need to be in your refrigerator until they sprout and then you can take them out and put them in a place that gets indirect light until they are ready for transplant. And the refrigerator drys out the peat pots very quickly so plan on watering everyday. At least that's what I had to do.

#82091 February 17th, 2007 at 01:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
For me, (and I like the easiest way I can, cause I'm always behind in everything) when I plant my Columbines,
I do them right straight outside....

I just scatter them on top of freshly scratched soil *exposed dirt and no weeds* and I do this
in the FALL time..
There is no fuss, no muss with this way...
Mother nature takes care of alllll the rest...
thumbup flw

#82092 February 17th, 2007 at 03:41 PM
OP Offline
Oh my goodness!!!

First..Weezie, I can't plant directly outside because I am in an apt. so it will be pots for me.

Second..TK, the packets said to chill the seeds first for a few days, so I laid the packets in the frig...when I sow them in a pot..are you telling me that I need to put the pot with seed into the frig until they sprout?...If the peat pots dry out too fast, can I sow them in to tiny clay pots and put in frig.?

#82093 February 17th, 2007 at 03:43 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Can you have the pots/containers' left outside
over winter where you are in the apartment???

#82094 February 17th, 2007 at 05:26 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yes you can put them in clay pots but anything including plastic which is what I used dried out really quickly. I used yogurt cups and put them in a metal tray for ease of pulling them in and out to water them.

No just chilling them in the packets probably won't get the job done. But then if I don't follow directions to the "t" I don't get good results some people are far more talented than I am. Or luckier.

And they require light to germinate so like Weezie said scatter them on top of the soil don't cover them with soil.

I've heard with the peat pellets some people sit them in pans of water. I can't say I blame them for doing it that way. Otherwise it's really hard to keep them as moist as they should be.

#82095 February 17th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
OP Offline
Ok...If they have to have light to germinate, how can I keep them in the frig? (I thought the light goes out when door is shut? laugh )...but really, that is a legitimate question?

#82096 February 17th, 2007 at 06:43 PM
I know it is a legitimate question Shirl.
The light does go out when the door is closed in your fridge.
Some seeds need chilling THEN light to jump start the germination. One after the other. And yes, chilling in the packet is very doable.

#82097 February 17th, 2007 at 08:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Shirley,
Asked you this before..
Originally posted by weezie13:
Can you have the pots/containers' left outside
over winter where you are in the apartment???
Is there anywhere's now you can have them outside?

#82098 February 18th, 2007 at 12:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I understand your question conpletely. I asked the same one. I don't know how it works but I know that if I sow them on top of the potting soil and stick them in the refrigerator in six weeks there abouts I have columbine.

My soil is to poor to sow them outdoors in the fall although I did try my first and second year. And prechilling didn't net me any results either. But as I said I do not have good luck with plants it is all hard work to keep them alive. I haven't even gotten to the healthy stage yet.

Good luck with your Columbine. Weezie probably has the best suggestion unless your apartment has indoor hallways without windows. I know around here I can't leave anything in a pot outside because someone swipes it.

#82099 February 18th, 2007 at 12:38 AM
OP Offline
I can answer weezie and Tk: I have no place outdoors; now patio or balcony...If anything is ever put out in a hallway window someone swipes it.

Well, I'm getting a good handle on what to do, now, with greenhouse and columbine; so, as I proceed with them I will let you know what works, or doesn't work, as the case may be, for me.

#82100 February 18th, 2007 at 11:17 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It's worth the effort they are such beautiful flowers. Remember the ones that you do in the refrigerator take about 6 weeks to sprout.

Also I've found that a lot of commercial seed packets don't contain the right germinating instructions or incomplete instructions. So I always check here before planting a new type of seed. You wouldn't believe the instruction on the back of a package of Bells of Ireland that I had. I lost the entire bunch of seeds due to bad information. Grrrrrh.

#82101 February 18th, 2007 at 03:26 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Shirley4:
I can answer weezie and Tk: I have no place outdoors; now patio or balcony...
Run me by that sentence again!!!

#82102 February 18th, 2007 at 07:23 PM
OP Offline
I meant NO patio or balcony..to set planters on.

#82103 February 18th, 2007 at 08:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, so you only garden in containers/pots,
correct?? And that's in the summer time..

Just out of curiousity, where do you put your
pots/containers for winter???

Columbines' are a perennial.. that will last many season's.. but you have to leave them outside to over winter *pot/container and all*
they're very cold hardy and need the cold to grow.

#82104 February 19th, 2007 at 03:55 AM
I grew columbines last year...I only chilled the seed for about a month, then placed in seed starting soil and placed back in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks then placed under lights and I had germination within 7-14 days.

Good Luck Shirley!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard